Bought a brisket for weekend

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So was out shopping yesterday, Decided on brisket for the birthday bash for all the July b/days (oldest daughter, her hubby, and youngest daughter's live in). Well was at Costco and please don't tell me inflation is down! I looked first at whole ribeyes. Holy :poop: they've nearly doubled in price and much of it in the last few weeks! Choice grade ones were $240-$275!!!!! I used to pay that for Prime grade ones! IDK if this is a "seasonal" issue or what.
Briskets (choice) $4.25lb just not long ago was EASY to find them $2.99lb!!! Well I did not see any I liked at Costco all WAY too huge and one little straggler with a flat that was too thin to work with.
Stopped in to Cattle and Cream in town for some fresh ground chuck for last nights burgers. Found a perfectly sized 11.25lb one with a nicely shaped flat in the vacuumed bag. But wow. $4.79lb. I bought it anyway. Simply because it fit my needs for Fri night/Sat cook on Big Z.
But every time I hear people saying how inflation under control, I throw up in my mouth a little.
Anyway looking forward to Friday night late and getting this bad boy on Big Z with a couple Chef IQ probes in it for a nice overnight.
Anyway I'll do photos l8r on the cook

So was out shopping yesterday, Decided on brisket for the birthday bash for all the July b/days (oldest daughter, her hubby, and youngest daughter's live in). Well was at Costco and please don't tell me inflation is down! I looked first at whole ribeyes. Holy :poop: they've nearly doubled in price and much of it in the last few weeks! Choice grade ones were $240-$275!!!!! I used to pay that for Prime grade ones! IDK if this is a "seasonal" issue or what.
Briskets (choice) $4.25lb just not long ago was EASY to find them $2.99lb!!! Well I did not see any I liked at Costco all WAY too huge and one little straggler with a flat that was too thin to work with.
Stopped in to Cattle and Cream in town for some fresh ground chuck for last nights burgers. Found a perfectly sized 11.25lb one with a nicely shaped flat in the vacuumed bag. But wow. $4.79lb. I bought it anyway. Simply because it fit my needs for Fri night/Sat cook on Big Z.
But every time I hear people saying how inflation under control, I throw up in my mouth a little.
Anyway looking forward to Friday night late and getting this bad boy on Big Z with a couple Chef IQ probes in it for a nice overnight.
1000000898.jpg

I agree. Anyone who thinks inflation is under control is living on another planet. I will admit that gasoline has gone down about two bits/gallon in the past 2 months or so, but still too high at $3.859/gallon for regular unleaded.

Yea the powers that be should be investigating these companies for price gouging while they rack up insane profits.
Not sure it's the issue. Profits have to be there. I don't live on the planet where I fault a corporation for needing to keep a profit margin. After all it's what keeps employees paid and so on. There is a lot more to "profit" than the gross profit. So it's REALLY hard for me to point a finger and yell "greed".
As for the gasoline. Yeah it went down for a little while. But it's bounced right back up.
Now on another note......................Big Z's controller's bluetooth and wireless went to the big smokehouse in the sky. Controller works so not flying totally blind but really a little miffed because I was relying on my being able to control it tomorrow night (if needed) remotely from my bed. Rather than needing to go out there in my tighty whitey's to do anything :D (joking here honestly) they're really dark blue :D
But, that is a function I will definitely miss

Sorry Big Z is having faults.

Here’s to a great brisket!🍺
Thanks Wilmer! I know it will turn out well, it will just be slightly more trouble than normal. Actually if there was only one glaring fault which would cause me to not recommend Z Grill products is the poor quality of their controllers and their app. Honestly (especially their Multitasker line 705 2B and 1100 2B) are built like tanks, and have very good standard type burn systems. One of the bigger reasons I am seriously considering something else

From Nerdwallet July 11, 2024

Why is beef so expensive?​

Beef is so expensive right now because drought, high grain prices and rising interest rates have made cattle farming a costly endeavor in recent years. To deal with rising operating costs, many U.S. cattle farmers reduced the size of their herds — and some got out of the business altogether. As a result, the U.S. cattle inventory is the smallest it’s been since 1951.

Smaller cattle herds means fewer cows are available for beef. But consumers have maintained a healthy appetite for it, even amid rising prices. That combination of low supply and steady demand has pushed prices higher.

Yes, all true. But sadly what I'm seeing is not just beef. Fresh fruits veggies, and so on have all skyrocketed in price especially so the last 3 months or so. I've noticed it in pork as well as fish. Not so much in chicken. But certainly many other of what we all would consider "staples" of our food budget. And also, I for one do not splurge on frivolous "grocery" items like soft drinks, snacks and so on. Same with nothing really in the form of frozen prepared foods either. But, our food budget is getting squeezed very tightly in many directions. Not just from beef.

Heat waves, floods, bad weather, water availability and costs, corporate mergers, shareholder profits, outrageous CEO pay all take money out of our pockets. I was ready to buy a brisket last week and the $3.49 lb at Costco went to $4.49 and it was just too much for a choice one. I will probably break down at some point and buy it anyway. Next cook I hope will be a smaller corned beef from the freezer on the WGA with riser if it comes tomorrow.

Just another reason to stay home and make your own steaks. I'd rather make it myself anyway.

Larry, sorry to hear about your controller, was that the stock controller or the one you upgraded to?

My SF gave me a scare last week, going to post about it soon. Got me scratching my head.

Good luck with the brisket, I know you may lose a little sleep babysitting it but that's what we gotta do sometimes. At least you will be home during the smoke to monitor it.

I never changed out the controller on Big Z. It's still basically what it came with. I tried a different controller (a cheap WIFI one from Amazon) on the Member's Mark but it was a pretty weird bird. Caused temps to soar, did a few other strange (even a little scary) things. So it sits in the garage. (the controller not the MM grill which is used multiple times per week)

Not sure it's the issue. Profits have to be there. I don't live on the planet where I fault a corporation for needing to keep a profit margin. After all it's what keeps employees paid and so on. There is a lot more to "profit" than the gross profit. So it's REALLY hard for me to point a finger and yell "greed".
As for the gasoline. Yeah it went down for a little while. But it's bounced right back up.
Now on another note......................Big Z's controller's bluetooth and wireless went to the big smokehouse in the sky. Controller works so not flying totally blind but really a little miffed because I was relying on my being able to control it tomorrow night (if needed) remotely from my bed. Rather than needing to go out there in my tighty whitey's to do anything :D (joking here honestly) they're really dark blue :D
But, that is a function I will definitely miss
Sorry to hear about Big Z.

I agree that corporate greed may well not be the main issue. CODB has increased drastically in the last few years, making it necessary to increase prices in order to make a profit. Many folks who've never owned a business of been involved in the financial issues of one don't understand this.

Back