Bottled Chipotle BBQ Sauce

Jim Bloomfield

TVWBB Super Fan
I use and have tried many BBQ sauces. some I use a lot are "Texas Thunder" The sauce from "The Slabs",Both sauces that are made by"Cookshack"
The above are available in gallons which is how I like to buy.Recently I got turned on to "Big Tex Morgans" Chipotle BBQ sauce. This is not yet available in gallons so I am buying cases.Spicy to the taste, but just right IMHO when used on food. If your into trying something different, give this a try. What other sauces are members using that they would recommend?

Great topic. I'll be particularly interested in what the Canadian members have to say as I'm on the lookout for a good one I can get here. I haven't found a really good one yet.

Sweet Baby Ray's has a honey chipotle sauce that I've tried that is pretty good. Good crowd pleaser that is not too hot.

I've always wanted to try making my own, as I do make my own chipotle and a lot of my own sauces. One of these days....
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elsie D.:
Great topic. I'll be particularly interested in what the Canadian members have to say as I'm on the lookout for a good one I can get here. I haven't found a really good one yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Elsie... as a fellow Canuck I can say that it's really going to depend on your taste. I can find Sweet Baby Ray up here, but it's very sweet (corn syrup sweet). I only use it when making "bastardized piedmont" sauce. I have had some decent sucess in specialty stores with finding some differnt brands.

One of my favourites is Rufus Teague, which I have found at a store in Burlington Ontario... but it's not cheap. For a more "local" flavour, Buster Rhino's makes some nice sauce too. They are based out of Whitby and operate a restaurant not too far off the 401. I their hot is hot and their Habenero is very hot... but excellent.

Hi Scooter:

What is the name of the shop in Burlington? My husband is from Hamilton (the beach area) and we go there from time to time to see his mother and mine who is in Woodstock. So, we could likely drop in to that store. I also have a sister in Stoney Creek who is planning a visit here soon and is not averse to picking stuff up. Meanwhile, thanks for the info on Buster Rhino's - sounds like a good place to stop for lunch. (We live in Ottawa.)

The name of the shop is Pete's Pepper Palace.
http://petespepperpalace.com/

They serve Q as well but I haven't been down in a while to try it... heard some decent things though.

As for the location... It's in "old Downtown Burlington". If you husband knows the area, it's near where Brant hit's Spencer Smith Park at the lakeshore. And if he really knows the area.... it's by the Beer store!! haha
Either way there is an address and map on the website. He has some nice sauces in there for sure.

I think this winter I'm going to order a gallon jug of Rufus to my parents south bird address. The "touch o' heat" has a nice kick but doesn't sacrifice flavor.

Hey, Scooter, I meant to respond to let you know that as soon as I mentioned where the place was, and that it was near the beer store, the ole blue eyes lit right up and he said, "Oh, I know where that is!".

Maurices carolina mustard sauce is one of my all time favorites, recently Ive been on a John Boy and Billy east carolina kick. Just had a friend mention sauce called "Notch 8" made in Savannah GA, looking forward to trying it this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Elsie D.:
Hey, Scooter, I meant to respond to let you know that as soon as I mentioned where the place was, and that it was near the beer store, the ole blue eyes lit right up and he said, "Oh, I know where that is!". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear! I actually popped down there a few weeks back. The owner seems like a great guy and I enjoyed his pulled chicken and ribs. Also if you get there around closing time you can get some nice "closing time" specials.
I think he's still getting use to the equipment, but the product was pretty solid... I also love the fact he serves with Rufus Teague sauces... some of my favourite!

I have been using Williamson Brothers Sauce (Marietta Ga). I really like their regular sauce and they do have a Chipotle bbq sauce out which I have not tried yet. I am lucky as their sauces are available at my local grocery stores.

Back