Boston Butt/Smoker Ran Hot

Kenny S

TVWBB Fan
bostonbutt_zps41ae37c1.jpg
[/IMG]

So my sister-in-law was is in town from NYC and I wanted to cook some Eastern NC style Que for her. It ended up with a great bark, smoke ring and flavor but was a little dry. I think the problem is my WSM ran too hot. Unfortunately it was above 280 for much of the 11 1/2 hour smoke. I monitored the temp with my brand new Maverick ET-732. I would have some periods it would drop down but it would inevitable spike again.

So I have a couple questions. How do you bring the temp back down? I added water and sealed the vents. What else can I do? I used the minion method and put a little over 3/4 of a lit chimney to get it started. Should I dial that back a little? All and all I feel like I did everything the same way as my last smoke which was probably in the 250 range and it turned out perfect. Any advice or just keep on trucking and recognize some smokes don't go quite according to plan.

That's way too much lit charcoal. I'd count out 15 or so briquettes. It's way easier to not let it get that hot than cool it down. Try to slowly get it up to temp so you aren't pushing it past your idea temp and reacting all the time.

280 should be fine to smoke. You just left it on too long if it was dry.

I would not consider 280 as being too hot and causing the dryness. I typically cook at 275 with no problems. Prior to pulling off the grill, could you easily push the temperature probe through the meat as if it was going through soft butter? If not, the butt may not have been done. Also, did you check the accuracy of the thermometer? Usually the stall occurs in the 165 to 175 range, not at 189. If all the vents were closed the temps should of dropped; if not either you're opening the door or top too often or your WSM has a massive air leak.

I guess i should have asked. What was the weight of the butt? Doesnt look huge from the pic. If it was 6 lbs or so it was definately in too long at 280 and 11.5 hrs.

Nothing really appears to stick out as to why it was a little dry. Maybe the temps really spiked at one time, maybe the shredded pork was left out a little too long, etc. Butts are typically foolproof, but every once in a while the Q just dosn't come out quite as expected. Just shrug your shoulders and keep on going. Usually if I cook for entertaining or comps, I'll cook multiple butts; most will come out great, but usually one may not be as good as the others. It may just be you cooked the one butt that wasn't as good!!

Butts will tell you when they are done. And that's with a simple probe test that feels like sliding in to hot butter.
Internal temps or if the WSM ran hotter than normal compared to time/temp shouldn't dictate when you pull a butt off.
Feel the meat, cause every smoke is not the same.:wsm:

Tim

Back