Boston butt questions

eric b

I am going to be smoking about 3-4 boston butts for the fire station were I work. I will smoke them at home the day before I work beacuse I have heard that that much meat will take about 12-14 hours to cook. My questions:

1. Should I pull the meat when it is done or wait until the next day?

2. What is the best way of heating the bbq up?

3. If I do pull the pork the night before when it is done cooking, should I add a little sauce then or wait until it is served?

Thanks,
Eric

1. I would pull it after it has rested. It will pull easier and waiting until the next day is just putting off work. Get rest and go to the dinner refreshed.

2. I store it in 9x13 pans, covered in foil. I heat them in a pre-heated 200* oven for an hour.

3. I add a little sauce, others add some apple juice. You need some moisture in there so it doesn't dry out when it's re-heated.

1. Def do not wait until the next day to pull! Wrap in foil and let it rest for about an 60-90 minutes and then pull it.

2. A good size pan and if you don't have one you can use a disposable foil pan, cover in tin foil and warm at 200 to ensure you don't dry it out.

3. I'd add something to it. All depends on your taste really. As TravisH said you need some moisture in there. If you add sauce though, don't drown it! I think that's a big mistake you can make and take away from the flavor of the meat!

ENJOY!

Back