Boston Butt Help

JohnO

TVWBB Member
I just bought a 10 lb. boston butt bone in. I am stalled. I don't want to cook overnight so what should I do? Am I able to cook it all day tomorrow. If I start early in the morning? Thanks for any help.

What time do you want to have supper??
I am a power smoker and do my smoking between 275-300. You can easily get away with that with butts...they are very forgiving. i start mine at 6 am and we are eating at 5 pm. The butt will stall for a while while all the fat and connective tissues break down.
Having the bone in will help it cook faster and better inho...........

More help will be on the way...hang in there!!

I just bought a 10 lb. boston butt bone in. I am stalled. I don't want to cook overnight so what should I do? Am I able to cook it all day tomorrow. If I start early in the morning? Thanks for any help.

Backward plan. When are you serving? Check this URL: http://virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html#wheremeasure

Cooking Times

How long will it take to cook pork butt to 180-205°F? As a rough estimate, figure 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound based on the trimmed weight of an individual roast. For example, when cooking two roasts weighing 8 pounds each after trimming, the total cooking time for both roasts should be 12-16 hours.

Good luck.

Have you already put it on? If not I agree with Scott, butts can take the abuse. While I prefer to cook them at 225, 300+ will do the job. It's not a filet, it has lots of fat.

I just found this high method on kickassBBQ.com and I think I am going to try that. One other question should I put my rub and/or inject the butt tonight? Oh should I keep the fat cap in tact or trim it?

Keep the fat cap on. Inject the night before. Set the butt on the fat cap and shoot the butt up. Then apply your rub right away. This will help fill in the injection holes. The fat cap on the bottom will also help keep the injection liquid in the butt. Wrap her up, toss her in the fridge, get a good nights sleep and have sweet dreams of pulled pork sammies............

Back