Boneless whole pork tenderloin

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
So, what weird things do y'all get for christmas? It weighs 8-9 pounds. A vacuum packed loin. No sticker and we are guessing on the weight.

Do I make pork chops or smoke this sucker? Best procedure?

- Dave

Just to reconcile your post title with your post, what you've got is a pork loin, not a tenderloin, which is only about 2 pounds.

I would cut it in half to make it easier to handle, and you can use part now and part later, or season each half differently.

You can roast it at 325-350*F, or do it lower at 225-250*F and sear in a 500*F oven at the end. The later method is outlined in the Pork Loin - Rib Roast article, along with two flavorings. The only difference is that the bones were still attached in the one I cooked, but the method is the same.

Regardless of which method you choose, to retain moisture in this lean cut of pork, cook to 145-150*F internal and let rest before slicing.

Perhaps others will chime in with more flavor ideas.

Regards,
Chris

My favorite method in cooking tenderloin is as follows:

Take about a 2 pound tenderloin and season however you wish. I sometimes insert a few garlic cloves into the meat. Wrap the loin completely in bacon. Then take some foil and lightly butter the inside. Wrap the foil tightly around the loin then cook indirect (350F) for an hour. Comes out perfect everytime. Cut it with a fork.

Hi Dave!

Hope you found some recipes to use for all that pork loin!

I always buy the whole loin......never paying more than $1.77/lb. Then I cut this into large 2-3 lb. chunks and individually freeze these.

There are so many things you can do with this loin. Keep an open mind about how you prepare.....smoking or grilling stuff should NOT be your only option! LOL Matter of fact, one of my favortie ways of preparing is the recipe called The Ember's 1 lb. Pork Chop. I will post it in the Pork Recipes forum.

Finally, to add to Chris's comments about loin vs. tenderloin.........the tenderloins are always 1 lb. in weight but are packaged 2 pieces per package. They are much more tender and the cooking time is greatly reduced. For this reason, I don't even bother to brine a tenderloin...there is simply no need for it.

The loins are those big honkin' pieces you find in the stores...usually between 7 & 9 lbs. They take longer to cook and because of this, I will brine these pieces of meat. This is especially true if you are going to smoke them..brining will work great!

One last idea......

I use these loins to test my sauces and rubs. Cut them thin....3/8"....and then smoke or grill. You can test so many spice blends and sauce combo's in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back