Boneless Turkey

Mickey Murphy

TVWBB Member
I am planning on doing a boneless trukey breast tommorow. I plan on starting it in the am at some point. I have an 11 lb boneless turkey breast. How long do you figure it will take. I'm gonna do it at between 225 and 250. I'm gonna take it up to 165. Just was trying to figure time. Also it is cyrovac and then wrapped inside in tinfoil. I have done one before in the oven and it is great, esoescially during the carving. I'm goona take the whole thing out to smoke it over apple wood. Any further suggestions??

John, Not sure on time, I'd guess about 3-4 hrs. May I suggest you pull it when an internal temp of 160º is reached. You'll get some carry over heat cooking once it's pulled off the smoker and resting.
icon_wink.gif
Good luck with your cook and take some pics for us.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I usually brine all my turkey in a simple brine, it seems to come out real moist. About 3 or 3.5 hours at 250 for me.

You mention it's packed in Cryovac......is it already marinaded from the store? You also mention it's boneless....is the breast whole or do you have two separate boneless lobes? Are they skinless? These factors would determine how I cooked it.

If it's marinated or self basting, skinless and/or two separate pieces I would do a modified reserve sear. Grilling indirect in the 245º-260º range until it hit 150º (using your choice of wood during this portion of the cook), then crank up the heat around 350º and lightly sear until it hits as Bryan suggested 160º maximum. As he said you will get carryover heat.

If it is two seaparate fresh pieces, I would brine as Tim suggested and use the same method above.

If it is indeed whole, I would then smoke as you originally planned. But, if it's fresh I would again, certainly brine as Tim suggested.

Mickey,

I think I know what you are cooking; I have purchased many of these from various sources. Cooking it from the instructions does yield the very best turkey...but you are not doing it that way
icon_smile.gif
You usually only take off [carefully] the outer cryopac, leaving the foil. I have also used these where there is another bag inside...like a baking bag. You always need to be careful not to puncture the inner bags with these.

I would use caution in unpacking this completely for the simple reason that it may all fall apart on you. Yes there are the two breast lobes, but there is also a significant amount of 'meat pieces' that are used by the manufacturer to bring the weight up to X amount, and also to give you a nice lump of bird. I say this because I know when I carve these up, they do tend to show their parts as sometimes pieces start to fall off.

On the grill grates, you may find that handling the bird might be hard. I do think juices have been added, so you can consider it already marinaded...they assume you will cook it in their sealed bag.

I hope it works for you!

Back