Boneless turkey breast

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm smoking an 8lb butt, 2 racks of baby backs, and a 3 lb boneless turkey breast for the 4th in the WSM. This will be the first time I've done a boneless breast....any tips? Does it benefit more from higher heat @ 325F? If so, I will cook it separately on the kettle grill with indirect heat. Any recommendations on a brine? I ultimately plan on shredding the turkey ala pulled pork.

Boneless turkey breast is one of my favorite things to smoke and I've probably done that more than anything else except pork butt.

High heat vs low and slow - I always do mine low and slow, but the caveat is that I use boneless, skinless breasts. So if yours is skinless, I would say go ahead and cook it with your pork. If it has a skin, high heat will give you a better chance at nice crispy skin.

Brine - I don't brine mine...but again there's a caveat: I've been using "enhanced" breasts (i.e. injected with saline) so extra salt is not needed. Instead, I just rub with something I call "Southern Willy" which is basically a combination of "Southern Succor" and "Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub" minus the salt:

Southern Willy
--------------
4 Tablespoons paprika
4 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

I have had tremendous success rubbing the enhanced, skinless, boneless turkey breast with the above and then cooking low and slow. The turkey is incredibly moist and has tons of flavor.

Hope that helps.

If it is enhanced, or self basting, or anything other than untouched fresh turkey... No salt in the rub.(chris's rub looks great) I like it cooked to 155 wrapped, rested, and sliced. I bet pulled would be good though. Just cook at whatever temp everything else is cooking at. It shouldn't take up much room in the smoker.

Have a great time. Sounds like a great feast.

Boneless turkey breast will be great cooked low and slow or fast. I cook mine at 300-350 with good results, and I know people who cook it at 225 and swear by it. Just pull it at 160 and you'll be fine.

Back