Boneless Turkey Breast - Cooking Temp

Brian B.

TVWBB Fan
I was planning to cook a bone-in turkey breast tomorrow (6.5 #) using the method described on the forum. My wife just came home with the breast and it is quite clearly noted as boneless, so my question is this.

Do I need to go with the low temp (225-250) method that is described on the main cooking page or can I still use a higher heat method? Any tips from the board would be much appreciated, as I've only ever cooked full turkeys.

Thanks

Also, if I cook at 300-325 does anyone know the rough estimates of how long it should take? The boneless breast is definitely throwing me off.

Boneless breast? I'd do it indirect on the kettle (Performer here) with one chunk of pecan. That will free up the WSM for whatever. How much does the boneless breast weigh? A bone in breast usually takes an hour or an hour and a half in my neck of the woods (at 350 to 400).

There really isn't any advantage to doing L&S except for the smoke time. I cook mine at 325 -350 indirect on my performer to an internal temp of 160, then loosely foil for about 30 minutes before serving.
Time wise a 6+ pound boneless at high temps I would start checking at 1:00-1:15 to see where you're at. You don't want to over cook it and dry it out. Also if you smoke it go light as turkey is pretty mild and again you don't want to taste just smoke. Use a light wood like apple or peach, pecan Etc.
Good Luck.

The cook went ok, but I was a little bit paranoid about getting it to temp (had 2 probes in it) so it was a bit dry. I pulled it at 165 on one probe and 173 on the other, should have pulled when the first one hit 165.

Cooking without the bone definitely threw me for a loop, so hopefully I should be able to do it better next time.

I was running late with my timing, so I didn't get a picture of the finished product.

The cook went ok, but I was a little bit paranoid about getting it to temp (had 2 probes in it) so it was a bit dry. I pulled it at 165 on one probe and 173 on the other, should have pulled when the first one hit 165.

Cooking without the bone definitely threw me for a loop, so hopefully I should be able to do it better next time.

I was running late with my timing, so I didn't get a picture of the finished product.

Remember when you take something off the grill it will continue to cook for a while going anywhere from 5-10 degrees hotter. So pulling at 165 that would be upwards of 170 or more and at 173 at least 178 that's why it was a little dry. I pull mine at 160 let them sit for 20 minuets or so and usually get a 165 final temp and a nice moist bird.
But as long as it was okay ya did good.

Back