Boneless Pork Loin

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys,

Did my firt cook on the wsm sun., nite mon.am
(memorial day). With your help it turned out
great. Just wondering if you ever cook the boneless pork loin? I know the whole bone-in would be the best selection but my family likes the boneless loin. They are on sale this week
BOGOF (but one, get one free) thought i might give it a shot. Any suggestions or experienced with this cut?
thanks
jerryp

Yes. I like em. I like to stuff them with things like cheese, spinach leaves, peppers, some use sun dried tomatos, whatever your imagination allows.
Tie them back up, and sprinkle some rub on. Smoke around 250* with some pecan and apple woods.
Some like to pull at 145*, but I like to go to 155* internal.
I think about 3 - 4 hrs will get it done.

here are a couple pics.

I start at the small end and start slicing pieces about an inch and a quater thick. I go up about two thirds of the way and take those slices and cut them in half again. The last quarter to a third of the loin is sliced the same inch and a quarter thick but not cut in half again like the rest.

The big end of the loin that only got cut once gets treated like pork chops. I put on a seasoning and smoke. The two thirds you cut twice I sprinkle on BRITU rub and throw them all on the smoker about 230* for about two - two and a half hours.

I have been thinking about trying out brining a loin. I am going to look for some recipes.

Even a straight brine is fine--though flavor brines work well. Since loin doesn't have the fat that makes low/slow at all necessary, it's worth brining if one is going to low/slow them as they benefit from the additional moisture.

Mike--If using uncooked ingredients for a stuffing the higher internal temp for a finish that you use is warranted for safety reasons.

Thinking about doing some of these today. I wasn't sure if I should smoke them or grill them (indirect).

Also, pork tenderloin is on sale for only 20 cents more at 1.99 lb. Would I be wise to try both or go for one cut over the other?

Thanks!

I don't low/slow either of them because they don't need it, preferring to grill-roast loin at ~325 and tenderloin at ~450. It's a matter of what your preference is; not a few low/slow loin.

At that price for tenderloin try both--or at least buy some to stick in the freezer!

Thanks Kevin!

Any ideas on a simple stuffing I could use on the pork loin?

We are definitely stocking up at that price!

A very simple one is one Mike alludes to upthread: fresh spinach leaves and cheese (I like Gruyère or Mahon but a good quality Swiss will do nicely. Thin strips of roasted red peppers are an option.

Another alternative for this time of year (I like dried-fruit-bsed stuffings in the fall and winter) is to base the stuffing on frozen spinach. Let it thaw, squeeze the hell out of it to dry it out then mix it into some onions and mushrooms that you've sauteed on the stove. A little thyme, salt and pepper, and some bread crumbs--done.

I also like sausage stuffing: fresh bulk sausage, cooked and drained, mixed with fresh fruit (chopped peaches, nectarines, pitted cherries, etc.), some minced onion and thyme or, if you are feeling adventurous, spiral-cut the loin and lay on it slices of best-quality mortadella; roll, tie, cook--mmm.

Wow, thanks for the suggestions!

I am more of a meat than veggie fan (hate onions and celery), so I think I might try some sausage or spinach with some fresh cornbread.

Thanks again for all the great posts around here!

Cheers!

I split mine open last night. Lined the inside with bacon (uncooked) and a lb of hot sausage (uncooked), then wrapped it back up and wrapped the outside in bacon. I lost track of time, so I don't know how long it took in the end. But, I will say the result was greatness! Super tasty, everyone was raving about it!

Thanks Kevin!

I usually don't do a pork tenderloin alone because of the above stated reasons. However, I will throw one on if I already have the thing fired up for Turkey, Chicken or if you are in the middle of a all nighter and you want something for breakfast or lunch. They finish fast and don't take up a lot of room.

Hey guys,
I cooked the boneless pork loin this morning. Low and slow. 3 hrs 250-275*. Pulled it off at 160* internal. Rubbed it last nite and put in fridge. I did not stuff it, just loin.
Not very good results. Kind of dry. BUt boy was the "ring" pretty.
Next time I'll try some of the stuffing recipes.
2nd try on the wsm. I love it.
Jerry P

Rita Y
I did not brine it. I've been reading about this on the forum but I've never tried brining.
Any good formulas for Loin?
Jerry P

Jerry, brining would have helped the dryness issue. Chalk it up to experience and part of the learning curve.
icon_smile.gif

If you go to the Pork Recipes section of these forums, click "Find," and type in "brine" you will find several suggestions. You might also try another search in the same forum for "loin" and see if some previous discussions come up for you.

Rita

Back