"Boneless" Pork Butts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Went to Costco the other day for a CR but they were out. So I settled on a double pack of "boneless" butts. I didn't realize they were boneless until I got home. Anyways, I put my culinary skills to work and wrapped them well in butchers twine. I just don't like the idea of this whole "boneless" thing. Why, I keep asking myself??
icon_confused.gif
Why would they de-bone a butt???
icon_confused.gif
It totally baffles me, and it really bothers me that I didn't read the package to notice they were boneless!
icon_mad.gif
I have noticed posts where people have cooked these before, how do they compare to a bone-in butt???? Maybe it will turn out fine, I am getting all ticked off before I even cook the thing. I should have stuck to my regular picnics from the grocery store!!
icon_mad.gif
Should I feel any less of a man for cooking a boneless buttt??? It just seems wrong!
icon_eek.gif

Larry, I have cooked the boneless butts before and they turned out virtually the same as the bone-in butts. The only problem that I had was that they kept coming apart on the grill. I bought mine like you did (by surprise), but cooked them side by side and couldn't tell a difference.

This post could pull a few chuckles if read the wrong way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The only problem that I had was that they kept coming apart on the grill. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks Ardry, I figured that would happen. So I tied 'em up tight with butchers twine then rubbed them down real good.

Doug D (I think) was commenting the other day about Costco and their boneless butts--apparently that's all they sell. Odd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Doug D (I think) was commenting the other day about Costco and their boneless butts--apparently that's all they sell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I really hope that is wrong!!
icon_mad.gif
I am sure it is correct though unfortunately. Because Doug usually has his facts straight! I just got a membership there for the sole purpose of buying meat!!!!
icon_mad.gif

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I love me some "baby poop green soup"!! Really, I love split pea soup, just wish it looked different!!

I ran into the same problem with Costco--only boneless butts. I have a cyropack of two in the freezer. I did the same thing. I went to Costco and noticed only the price and not the fact that they were boneless. The next time I went back I asked the meat guy about bone in butts and he told me they don't carry them. Sounds like I need to get some butcher's twine.

Griff

I was so self-critical about the first time I deboned a butt (for buckboard bacon) UNTIL I saw the butcher job Costco did on 'em. Good googa mooga!

On the other hand, what everyone sez about them tasting the same is true, so don't worry.

I didn't care for the boneless ones I got either. Just lazy I guess, price was good but I sure had to tie them up a lot. No diffence in the meat that I recall or the cook time for that matter.

With you guys on the soup thing. Made my first pot of split-pea soup with Mr. Brown butt bones last weekend. It was great. My split-pea soup hating family loved it! So much better than canned.

I don't think I am going to have a problem with them falling apart. I tied them up pretty good! I am having a problem now with my ET-73. It is reading way high for some reason. It is reading a grate temp of 260-270, but the Weber thermometers in the dome read 245.
icon_confused.gif
I calbrated them on the last cook and they were on the money. I just put a pot of water on so I can check them again real quick.

I am really wanting some split pea soup now! I love it, but my family won't eat it because it looks funny! No "Family Fear Factor" for us!
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I love me some "baby poop green soup"!! Really, I love split pea soup, just wish it looked different!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,

My wife just made yellow split-pea soup with a ham bone from Honey Baked Ham Co. Now *that's* a treat! And not green.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
I was so self-critical about the first time I deboned a butt (for buckboard bacon) UNTIL I saw the butcher job Costco did on 'em. Good googa mooga! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Susan,

I agree 100%! I got a couple that I just wasn't going to be able to tie and couldn't turn on the WSM. They came out tasting fantastic but they worried me greatly while I was prepping them.

In another thread, I said it looked like they butchered this pig with a grenade ... man, they were a mess.

Man these "boneless" butts are in turbo. I can't slow them down. They went right through the plateau and never slowed down. 160-170, in about an hour and a half, with a grate temp of 235*. Not good!
icon_mad.gif
The last 8.5lb picnic I did took 3.5 hours to get through the plateau! Damn Costco! Oh well, maybe they will turn out okay! Will let you know after they are pulled!
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_wink.gif
Larry
You can slow the cook and allow more time for rendering, but I think you will find that those butts will come out fine.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Jim,
Tell me something, you may know. Why in the world do they de-bone butts? For slicing purposes is all I can think of? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, this is Jim... I'm on Chris' computer... All I can say is that it is for people that are not doing what we are doing with them.

Okay... it wasn't Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back