Boneless Pork Butt

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I found a good deal on Pork Butt at Costco but they are boneless. All of the butts I have done to date have been bone in. I have seen mention of rolling the boneless and tieing it but wasn't sure why you need to do that. I wanted to know if anyone has other thoughts on what to do with the boneless that is different than the bone-in.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

Removing the bone from a butt leaves you with a slightly hacked up piece of meat with varying thickness, people tie them back up to get them to a more uniform size so they cook more consistent throughout.

What kind of price are they offering them for by the way?

Robert,

I've done both the bone in ones and the boneless ones from Costco. I know there isn't supposed to be much difference and it might be all in my head but I liked the bone in ones alot more. I like to tie the boneless ones to get more uniform cooking.
One thing I watch foris to rub after it's tied. I've rubed one and then tied it thinking it would be seasoned on the inside and the rub just a bit disgusting during the cook.

I see your in Chicago, have you checked out Peoria Meat Packing, their prices are usually pretty cheap for bone in pork butts.

Erik,

When you tie it up, do you roll it beforehand?
It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference in the boneless.

I have not been to Peoria as of yet but need to check that out.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

They aren't very precision cuts when they remove the bone so you'll need to roll it up. Just try and make it as round as possible, and then tie it up.

I'd prefer bone-in butt too but don't want to join Sam's just for that, and they're not as convenient. I use the Costco butts quite regularly although they are a nuisance to tie, but I do tie them. I've given up doing a nice tie and now just start wrapping the twine around them where I see loose areas. I figure 1/4 pound string for a 6-pound butt...just kidding, but close.
icon_eek.gif

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the elastic netting? The problem with netting, tho, is getting a good rub penetration on the meat. The netting would probably pull the rub off, even after it has softened while resting in foil....guess I answered my own question.

Anyone here have an "in" with the Costco meat rep? If enough of us ask, maybe they would offer a bone-in option.

Rita

I am fortunate that I have a Costco and Sams within 5 minutes of each other. I go to Sam's for bone-in (pulled pork) and Costco for boneless (carnitas).

I just roll them up a little, then use 2 or 3 metal skewers to hold them together. Any of the little ends come free during the cook, well, they become an early treat for the cook.
icon_wink.gif

Back