Boneless Butt dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, indeed, Costco now only has boneless butts.

Until I can find a bone-in butt prveyor near me, that's what I'm stuck with.

So.....how many have you cooked 'em boneless?

I never have. They're always the bone-in kind.

Now what?

What should I expect, longer or shorter cooking times?

Just wanna know your experience.

I'm a creature of habit. I feel lost. Someone hug me!

I've cooked the boneless butts from Costco & thought they turned out just as good as the bone-in ones. They don't hold together as well as the bone-in, so you may want to tie them with some kitchen twine. The added benefit of the boneless ones is that there's more surface area to put your rub on.
I also didn't notice any difference in cooking times. Mine always take 16-18 hours.

Jeff

Henry Joe-

First, I ain't huggin' you!

Second, just cook 'em ya big ninny! It's just a piece of pork. Show it who's boss! Oh, and they cook just the same. I tied them up to keep 'em together a bit more (they take up a lot of space otherwise.) Cook was pretty much the same, perhaps 3 mins per pound shorter. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

R

I did 4 boneless 4# roasts this past weekend that I picked up in China town. Had to tie each one 2 or more times because the butcher cut the bone out which left several dangly hunks of meat that had to be tied up.

Price was excellent, at least $1.50/lb cheaper than my grocers for boneless. (It did have the skin on it though, an inch of fat to cut off, burnt hair and some kind of number stamped on it /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif)

Anyway, the four of them took only an hour longer than two 8#s bone-in I did. The only other difference really was that I was able to season inside the folds before I tied it up. I rubbed, left overnight, rubbed, tied, cooked.

They turned out great, I will do them again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art B:
See, now I knew that avatar was going to be popular.

Nice work, HJP! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw Chris Allingham's mug, and since I can't host a photo I picked the pig cuz it was the one that looked the most like me.

So, are we related? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have also used the boneless from Costco. Like every else has said, you'll have to tie them up. I had two 5 lbs that I smoked, the total time was 16 hrs w/ foil on the last 1-1/2 hour. They came out great!

Good luck,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back