Boneless Baby Back Ribs... What to do.

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
So i bought some boneless baby back ribs at sams becuase they were $2.00 a pound. Any tips on how to cook these bad boys? I haven't opened the package yet, but I'm hoping that they are still attached somewhat, but I'm not for sure. Any tips or suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Josh

Rub, Lay them 90 degress to the grate, don't plan on turning, cook till tender (190f to 200f internal). Let us know how they went.

Boneless baby back ribs? I may be showing my ignorance, but I've never heard of them before! Where do they come from on the pig? Are they actually ribs with bones removed?

Phil,

These are baby backs that the ribs have been removed. Kind of like boneless chicken wings.... some yuppie couldn't handle a bone or his prissy wife is turned off by eating the meat off the bone so they take them out to make them easier to eat or some mubmbo jumbo like that.

I'd normally not get this product, but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

I work part time at Sam's Club in the meat department. At our store the boneless back ribs are the end of a pork loin that has been cut in half and then cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces

That's how we do it at Club #6310 in Minnesota

Scot

Scot - I'm a butcher too, sounds like to me what you are describing are country style ribs, if they are cut off the "rib" end. If they are taking them off the "loin" end - they are glorified thick cut sirloin chops.

In our state you can get away with calling those pieces baby ribs. But if you put the word "back" in the title - they had better be true back ribs, or the inspector will come down hard on you!

These look just like baby back ribs... same striations and what not but they look to have as advertised the ribs removed. I'll try to snap a picture or two as I go.

Well, now I've cooked a number of slabs of baby back ribs that became boneless AFTER they were cooked. If I overcook a slab to the point that the bones have let loose, Robert (for some unexplainable reason) likes to sit and pluck all the bones from the slab one by one, ending up with a slab of (TA-DA!!!) boneless baby back ribs.

Can't say as I've ever seen 'em start out that way, though, except maybe in that McMeat that McDonald's used to use for that McRib sandwich. You've piqued my curiosity, Josh!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time (and competing as Hot Wire BBQ)

I know a woman who thinks eating any meat with a bone in is barbaric.

Long live the Barbarians
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim:

When we cut our boneless loin chops we cut down to the small end on a (crovac) boneless pork loin then slice that in half and cut our boneless ribs. I work again on Friday and I'am sure the ticket says boneless backribs.

Scot

Gotcha Scot - I thought you were talking about whole bone-in pork loins. Interesting way of getting those - normally we just use them for city chicken, pork stew, boneless chops and boneless roasts. Betcha have customers wondering why boneless baby ribs cost less than the bone-in ones do!
icon_wink.gif

Getting this subject back on track, I would still cast my vote for a bone-in baby back any day of the week.

Back