Bone in Strips.... nothing special

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
New camera!! Bring back the food Pr*n. So what do my wandering eyes should appear, but choice bone in NY strips on sale for 6 bucks a pound. I grabbed a couple big ones out of the supermarket. Each one was over 21 oz. For this cook, I used the bottom of my WSM as a grill.

There were also some smallish yellow peppers on the days old shelf that didn't look too bad. I bought some sweet onions and a half dozen shrooms to go with 'em.....

Into the skillet they go with a half stick of butter, a good shake of Lawry's salt and a good shot of grapeseed oil. I've found that grapeseed oil raises the smoke point of the butter by a great deal without losing too much of the butter's flavor.

Once the veggie juices cooked out and got concentrated, I tossed in a half pint of Jim Beam to make a bourbon sauce. A nice flambe' soon appeared. I was surprised that the color showed up in the pic.

Once that was all done, the steaks went on the fire. I put on a liberal shake of Bullsh*t seasoning (yes that's the name of it). Quite deelish I must say, more flavor than heat.

Last shot, this is all plated up, rested and the smaller of the two. The only cheating I did was to torch the top of the peppers to provide some visual interest.

I should point out that I needed to put this one back on the fire, my better half has to have her beef ala hockey puck.... burned beyond recognition and as tough as shoe leather. I ate the bigger one, it turned out rare/ med rare just the way I like it. Thanks for looking.

Great cook, Jim. I love when you get a surprise when you download the pictures. Is that a blue tarp in the background....:)

Jim, your plated photo is absolutely KILLER!!
Cheat, so what, it's REAL, ain't it??!!
Awesome Grillin' man! I love it!

Back