Bone-in Butts

Jack Dietrich

I am preparing two 9# bone-in butts and wondered if the guideline 1.5 hrs/# still applies to bone-in. Have only smoked boneless butts before.

Thanks

Hello Jack, I've always used the 1.5 hour guideline for my bone-in butts. Just be careful when you are taking a temperature reading that your probe does not touch the bone giving you a false reading.

This is a really dumb and embarrassing question, but this rule of thumb doesn't mean aggregate lbs, does it? If I am cooking (2) 8 lbs butts, it's only 12 hrs, not 24...sounds crazy, but just confirming.

Yes, that is correct. There is a variable though if the smoker is really filled up. Then some additional time may be needed

The only extra time (maybe half an hour) may be in the beginning for the smoker to get up to temp. Once there, time will be about the same as the two pieces are cooking independantly. You may also see increase fuel consumption.

No set formula. What I mean is that if you have a fully packed smoker, the cook could be on the longer end of the estimated time range. If you had a single piece done in 1hr/pound, you could experience the 1.5hr/per pound loaded up. So back to your original question on 2-8lb's, I would plan on 10-12 hours.

Don't mean to contrdict, Jeff, but actually, there is an exact formula.
Where
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> X = lbs of meat,
Y = number of coals in fire,
Z = beers consumed,
W = temperature [/list]

Then the Extra Time is,
? [(x, w, y, z) ? {y ? z} ] ? {? ? (x*y)!} ? Extra Time

But a half-hour usually works.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
Where
Z = beers consumed,
W = temperature [/list]

Then the Extra Time is,

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew there was something I was missing. Nice
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
Where
Z = beers consumed,
W = temperature [/list]

Then the Extra Time is,

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif

Back