Bone In Butt

I cooked a bone in butt this weekend. We have a Men's Group (euphemism for a group of guy's who get together to drink) and we had a bocce ball tournament and kegger. We had a blast. I cooked a bone in butt for the boys. The meat on the bone side of the butt was about 170 when the temp on the non-bone side was 195. I think I pulled it too early and the meat was good, but not fully tender like my normal cooks. I usually do Costco boneless butts. Anyway, how do you determine when to pull a bone in butt?

Pork.jpg

There are a couple ways besides the bone being loose. A probe should go into the meat with little resistance and for those who like to temp the meat, 200-205 should do it.

You should not use internal temp to decide that bbq is done: Period!
Is it tender. Does the probe slip in easily. It's tactile. Does it feel done... Temp is only useful as a guide: ie/ is it safe to eat, should I now foil, etc....

I have always flown with the bone in. How much does the boneless weigh typically? Does it cost more per pound. All this talk has made this Costco member curious.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Costco stores around here carry boneless full shoulders rather than butt. They usually run 14-16 lbs, I'm not sure what the price is right now but it's usually in line with bone-in butts from Sam's Club.

I always use the bone as my built in thermometer. I usually grill 80 lbs of butts a week. When the bone pulls clean, it is done. We smoke them on the open grate for 5 hours with smoker boxes added for flavor. After that time we place them in foil for another 5 hours till the bone pulls free. Heat is usually kept around 200-250 degrees. After pulling from the heat we place them in a cooler overnite, still wrapped in foil, then pull in the morning. Meat is tender, pulls easy and is not mushy. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Costco stores around here carry boneless full shoulders rather than butt. They usually run 14-16 lbs, I'm not sure what the price is right now but it's usually in line with bone-in butts from Sam's Club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, Costco stores in the Twin Cities sell two boneless butts per cryo-pack. They are usually about 8 lbs per butt, not a whole shoulder.

Back