Bone-In 8.5# Ham going on Now

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I bought a Wegmans "Bone-In" Brown Sugar Cured Ham w/ Natural Juices 1/2 Skinless/Shankless

I am using the recipe from Smoke & Spice Bourbon and Maple.....It is fully cooked and Naturaly smoked.....8.5 pounds

Any input as to how long this may take? what internal temp I should pull?
THANKS

Bring the ham to room temp first. This will take 1.5-2 hours.

Heat the ham around ~250 degrees. I am not familiar with the recipe you are using but fully cooked hams are subject to drying if brought to too high an internal or heated too slowly (foiling lessens the drying potential but I don't know whether that would work with your recipe) so an internal in the low 100s as a pull temp is good. The rise during the rest (to ~118, give or take a few degrees) is all you need. Temps higher than 120 will squeeze juices out of the meat and cause the ham to feel dry. My guess is it should take 2-2.5 hours but this will depend on overall size (thickness) and whether or not you foil. Rest 30 min or so, foiled or, if glazed, in a pan tightly covered in foil.

Thanks the recipe sais "transfer to smoker and cook for 5.5-6 hours basting with mop 1/hr. Brush Ham with glaze twice during the last hour Ham is ready when thoroughly heated through and infused with smoke flavor"

I will hold off on putting it on....... I will cook at ~ 220 until I get to ~110 .....Using apple and cherry chips in foil. WIll let you know.

Please do.

Their recipe is for a fully cooked ham?

(Welcome to the board, btw.
icon_smile.gif
)

Back