bone head question

Keith Kenney

TVWBB Fan
When you guys do ribs do you sauce both side of the ribs or just the side with all the meat? Sorry for such a bone head question.

Usually I do one thin coat on both sides but have also done just the top side, though not often

Serve them the way you and your guests like, but I'd guess most folks, including me, like both sides sauced.

I rarely sauce - serve it on the side - but like my ribs dry most of the time.
If I make tips, I do sauce tips.
To be honest, if I sauce, never thought about saucing the bottom of my ribs - just put a nice glaze across the top and let it drip over the sides.

I add a thin coating of sauce to both sides during the last 15-20 minutes. Not enough to make them messy, just enough to give them a hint of sauce flavor. I then have several varieties of sauce served on the side for personal taste.

Mike

I sauce one (top) side. Usually do 3 racks of BBacks and sauce 2 of the 3 for the wife and kids. I leave mine dry and apply sauce later. My wife likes Sweet Baby Rays that has been applied and thickened a bit after sitting for about 20 mins on the ribs while still in the WSM.

It's not a bonehead question. It's a personal preference. I do a small thin layer on the top side only and offer sauce on the side.

Like Michael said, it is a personal preference...I normally sauce both sides on the grill..I really like what high heat does to the finish, but only for 5 mins or so...then I take them in and add a glaze to them right before cutting them. Great...now I'm hungry again!

Back