Bone Head Goofs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I think I get the prize the biggest bonehead goof of this year and last year. (I post this so that others will learn to avoid my idiocy)

After a butt cook, I decided to burn off my top and bottom WSM grates in my gas grill. My plan was for 15 minute burn on high. So I stacked then in the grill and let her rip. . . 2 and a half hours later, my wife asks, "what are you cooking on the grill?" Oh @#$%&!!!!!

So I turned off the grill and because it was now late in the evening just went to bed while they cooled down. Well, one day turned into a week and my grates were still sitting in the grill. Yesterday, I opened up the grill to find bright red rust covering both my grates. Oh @#$%&!!!!

So I took steel wool to them, cleaned off the rust, smeared them with Crisco, and seasoned them in my oven like I do with my D.O.s Hopefully, that will prevent the rust from returning now that I've burned off the nickel plating. If not, I'm buying new grates. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

You must be an attorney ! - Just kidding. I know you are and so am I /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Only 2-1/2 hours? A few years ago, after cooking on our gas grill (which is permanently mounted on the deck, and connected to the natural gas piping in the house) my wife turned both burners up to high, to burn the grease off the grates. The next morning, I looked out the door and noticed that shimmering effect you see over hot highways in the summer, only it was over the grill. The grates were clean - the grease had been reduced to a fine, white ash. The thermometer in the lid was totally ruined. Luckily, the wood railing closest to the grill was totally unaffected.

I had a nearly identical experience to Larry's once-- except it wasn't the next day, but more like a week. Should have seen me giving myself a heart attack mis-reading the gas meter and comparing it to the most recent gas bill. Actually didn't turn out to be that much. Yet another reason not to use a gasser.

Fire Magic grills come with timers that shut off gas flow....must be available somewhere. A good safety device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back