Bologna sandwich

Russell McNeely

TVWBB Wizard
Well I had planned on making Pepper Stout Beef today. Tonya picked up all the ingredients for it yesterday. Then the weatherman said there was an 80% of rain and that it was gonna be cold and windy today. The cold and windy I can handle but the rain is another matter. Anyway I canceled my plans for making PSB. As it turned out it rained once at 6:00 this morning and then quit
icon_mad.gif
. Oh well, I know they can't get it right all the time.

Anyway this afternoon I came up with plan B:

A 7 lb. chub of bologna - scored, slathered with mustard and soy sauce mixture and covered in brown sugar (ala BBQ Pit Boys)
IMG_8650.jpg

Indirect at 250-300 for about 3.5 hours. Hickory wood for smoke.
IMG_9905.jpg

Done. Time to slice and sear each piece directly over the coals.
IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

Buttered and toasted some bread over the coals as well (in the dark)
IMG_0776.jpg

Plated. Bologna sliders with sliced onion and No. 5 sauce, Tonya's homemade coleslaw, and chips.
IMG_3594.jpg

Not a bad substitute. Some good stuff! My dad, the kids, and Tonya all thought it was great. I don't cook BBQ Bologna very often, but when I do its always a crowd pleaser. And its a nice relaxing cook - just put it on and forget it. I think its pretty much indestructible
icon_smile.gif

Well thanks for lookin' and goodnight everyone.

Thanks guys!

John, I did leave the Bologna in the pan the entire cook with just enough water in pan to keep things moist (and it didn't take much).

Russ that looks fantastic.I haven't had bologna in years. Used to be my favorite thing as a kid. Grilled open face sandwiches,fried,bologna & mustard sammies where my staples growing up. Think I'm going to get me some.

That's a bunch of fine looking baloney Russ!

My niece's husband, in OK, makes this fairly often on his Hasty Bake, and I've been meaning to cook a chub too.
Thanks for the reminder!

I do the same thing with a whole ham loaf. Not really ham OR bologna its kinda a chopped up ham in a loaf. It is the bomb!

When I go to the NASCAR races in Martinsville, VA, my friends and I stay in South Boston, VA. There is a local track in SB where Ward and Jeff Burton got their careers started. They sell thick cuts of grilled bologna. "Baloney Burgers". This reminded me of them. (They're definitely not as good looking as yours though).

Back