Body Filler on Genesis 1000 Frame

CharlesT

First time poster here. I am restoring a Genesis 1000 with significant pitting on the cross beam of the left frame which supports the fire box. I would like to apply body filler to the square tubing to smooth out the surface prior to painting but am concerned it may not hold up to the heat coming from the fire box. Has anyone had issues with body filler deterioration due to the high heat? Do I need to use a high heat filler like Lab Metal? Any other suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

Hi Charles, you may want to consider replacing the left side cross member as it will rot from the inside out. There are instructions and a video on this board.

Or if you want use a high heat product like JB Weld for exhausts from your local auto parts store

And I'd like to see an after picture if available, like after being in service for a few cooks...

Thanks for the help! I will give JB Weld a shot since the cross beam is still salvageable and I don’t have any spare square tubing to replace it with. I will report back on how it holds up eventually but it will be a while.

Charles, you can buy square tubing at any big box store like HD or Menards, or Lowes...probably even Ace Hardware and it isn't that expensive. The most expensive part is the tube inserts for the bolts.

@Brian B Atlanta That looks great. Do you have any before pictures? Was wondering what the frame looked like before you used the JB Weld.
Bill, I forgot to take a before picture my bad but basically it was badly pitted moon craters I call them from the surface rust so no amount of paint was going to cover it as it had to be filled. You don't need to apply that heavy a coat the first time around but it for sure once you sand it you will need a second coat. Think sheet rock mud takes a few coats to hide all the imperfections. I touched up a few other spots where the firebox rests on the frame the 4 corners while I was at it.

I used 220 with an orbital sander was afraid to use a lower grit so its a bit of a chore to sand the first coat, the second coat is like a skim coat so its easier. I ran some 320 by hand when done and some wet dry 400. I let the first coat sit a day before sanding left the frame in the sun.

Back