Boboli Pizza Crust

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Has anyone used the Boboli Pizza Crust. Going to cook some Pizzas Saturday night and have some time restraints. Seems like having the pre-made crust might save some time, getting the pizza dough right is the hardest part to making pizzas (imho) Probably go back to making our own dough once the weather gets about 70 degrees, seems easier to work with dough when the weather is warm

Original

http://www.boboli.com/BoboliProduct.aspx?upc=7313001237

Boboli_Original3.jpg

Thin Crust

http://www.boboli.com/BoboliProduct.aspx?upc=7313001257

Boboli_ThinCrust2.jpg

I like the idea of the thin crust for several reasons, but in this case the sodium content is quite a bit less in the thin vs the original

I have used the original on the grill before, but not the thin crust. Have used lower heat
and about 9 to 10 minutes on the grill, rotating through the heat zones. The real high
temp 6 and 7 hundred degrees will turn these into a crispy critter very quickly. They are
not as good as home made fresh dough, but not bad either.

I've never used the Boboli, but have had good luck with the Trader Joe's pizza dough. At $1.19 each, it's a hard deal to beat.
All you have to do is remove it from the bag, place it on an lightly oiled plate or bowl, set it in a warm place for an hour or so & you are gold.

I'll check out Trader Joe's. I'm always looking for an excuse to go there, I like their 2buck Chuck

Hey Chuck, have you tried Winco's pizza dough? About the same price as TJ's. One pound packs. I've used it a couple of times and it was excellent. Probably not as fast as the Boboli, but a lot simpler that scratch, particularly if you're in a hurry.

I did try the Winco dough with mixed results. In both cases, it was left out most the day (sealed in it's plastic) one of those days, the pizzas were beautiful, the other day I hung my head in shame :(

ChuckO, the TJ dough is great. SWMBO uses it and when I get a KettlePizza, that will be my go to for crust. The wife loves that place.

I'm going to give the TJ's the old college try (pictures to follow this weekend) Thanks everyone

Is this the Pizza Crust (at Trader Joes) you all are suggesting? It looks good :)

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-pizza-crusts

51242-organic-pizza-crusts-di.png

Ingredients

Organic Wheat Flour, Water, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Durum Wheat Semolina, Salt, Organic Dried Sourdough Powder (Organic Wheat Flour, Sourdough, Water), Organic Dextrose, Organic Malted Wheat Flour, Yeast, Calcium Phosphate, Deactivated Yeast, Sodium Bicarbonate. CONTAINS WHEAT.

TJs should have frozen dough balls. I wouldn't use the par baked crust. If you have an Italian deli near you that also has pizza, they might have dough you can buy too. I actually picked up a couple dough balls from my local Italian deli yesterday and cooked up a couple pies.

Is this the Pizza Crust (at Trader Joes) you all are suggesting? It looks good :)

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-pizza-crusts

51242-organic-pizza-crusts-di.png

Ingredients

Organic Wheat Flour, Water, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Durum Wheat Semolina, Salt, Organic Dried Sourdough Powder (Organic Wheat Flour, Sourdough, Water), Organic Dextrose, Organic Malted Wheat Flour, Yeast, Calcium Phosphate, Deactivated Yeast, Sodium Bicarbonate. CONTAINS WHEAT.

Never tried that.
I use the dough that comes in a bag.
You can freeze it if you want.

I'm trying to avoid using "uncooked dough" and buy a "half-baked" crust. As any of you know (who've BBQ'd pizza) it's a lot of work. The people we're having over are from out of town and only here for the day. Naturally when my bride said "Chuck will make something on his BBQ's, what do you want?" they replied "we want Chuck's fire-roasted BBQ pizza." (it does not pay to show your successes, especially when there's a high level of failures not shown) LOL

I realize there will be some loss of taste as a result of the precooked crust, I'm hoping that the time saved will result in increased time spent socializing and not cussin' the pizza because the dough ripped, or stuck to the peel (going in)

Anyway, it'll probably be the Boboli premade thin crust or Trader Joe's "organic" premade crust. A couple good bottles of wine, and you get what you get :)

Only crust/dough I've tried was homemade or from a frozen/thaw.. Great success... I guess its beginner luck.. just gotta turn, rotate and flip and heat to doneness..

Trader Joe's made (frozen) crust. Looks good to me, granted it's their pictures, I'm sure they went all out

45MainImage.jpg

Their "organic" doesn't float my boat

273MainImage.jpg

I plan to make my own dough late morning and if it gives me issues, have the original crust at the ready. The weather will be good this weekend, mid 70's forecast at my house, so making dough might just be the ticket

I've tried and had good success with Paula Dean pizza crust. Give it a look. I'll try to find some of my earlier pizza pics.

Back