BOB input

Bill Sutton

TVWBB Member
Hey All- I'm about to start a BOB cook for a family gathering tomorrow but I can't decide on a method that results in proper timing. I've spent the past two+ hours reading all the various threads but I just can't make a decision; so I'm looking for input.

I have two 8.5 lb butts and a 15 lb brisket that I am looking to have wrapped and resting by about 4:00 tomorrow afternoon (serving about 7:00PM). Now I have done lots and lots of butts and can play with time and temp to get where I need to be, but I've done only a couple of briskets, so its the brisket that has me mostly concerned.

I gather from my reading that at 250d the brisket cooks at about 1+ hr /lb, and I know the butts cook about 1.5+ hrs/lb; 8.5 # butts and 15 # brisket should all be done within a hour or two of each other (right?). But my preferred cooking temp is 220d- At 220d (WSM lid) the butts should finish up in about 18hrs; but where will the brisket be?

On the other hand, I have more meat going in than I really need; if the brisket really cooks closer to the 1.5 hr/lb at 250d (similar to butt) then perhaps I could chop the brisket in half so I have the same size chunk of brisket as I do butts, then they have to finish up about the same time (right?). Or I could microwave the brisket before placing on the BBQ ... kidding...

So what do you guys think? I think I'm going to go get a beer and start setting up a BBQ.

Thanks,
Bill

I would shoot for a higher lid temp, say 275-300. With the brisket on the bottom grate, fat side down, with the butt on top, as it renders will help baste the brisket.

Go for tenderness on both, regardless of internal temps. Foil the brisket around 160degrees, and just go by feel from that point till done. The brisket might finish sooner than the butt, so you could sit on the butt for a bit longer. I might try to switch places of both of them once the brisket is foiled, since it wont catch any more drippings anyway. Plus, the butt will be closer to the heat source at that point and will help with finishing times.

Good luck.

I agree with Tom on the temp. It's way too low. I'd shoot for 275 on your lid temp, 250 at a minimum.

Your thoughts on the timing are about as good as anyone can guess.

JimT

Thank you gentlemen for your input; in the end I decided to stick to my guns and do what I know. This course of action was especially difficult JimT, given that I had what was probably the best bit of brisket I'd ever tasted off of your BBQ just a couple of weeks back!

I started all the meat with a lid temp of 225d at 9:15 last night. My goal was to have the meat off at 4PM earliest to 6PM latest for a 7:00 feeding. The brisket 190d alarm went off at 4:01PM - I've got it wrapped and in the cooler resting. The butts are sitting at 180d (only one is actually probed), I pushed the heat up to 250d and see it coming out without issue in the next couple of hours.

I'll let you know what the general populace thinks about it when they tell me!!

Cheers-
Bill

Well??

Since you didn't invite me over, I guess I need to wait for the vote of the general populace.

And the pictures of course!!!

JimT

Back