Blues,brew and bbq festival,Charlotte

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
In case you haven't heard,there is a bbq fest in uptown Charlotte this coming weekend. It's a preliminary to Memphis in May. I'm doing a butt in my backyard to commemorate!
icon_biggrin.gif

Phil, have you attended this before? Will there be any Q left on Saturday at 8pm usually? Thats when I get off of work.

no,I've never been,but hopefully there will be some left. If there isn't any left,I'm doing a butt on sunday!
icon_cool.gif

I've yet to get the courage (and the time) to try a but on my Gormet Brinkman. I plan on my first one next week if all goes well. One of my customers says that Bloom foods has good price and quality of meat. Have you ever bought from them? He's also the one that introduced me to cherry wood. I used it on my first cook with chicken last week.

Two years ago, there were more than a few well funded, well known 'national' teams. There were a number of 'regular' folks too. It was all very interesting. Worth a look.

I have competed in the Blues, Brews, and BBQ comp the past two years--in the backyard division. Its probably the best comp I've entered as you receive up to 10 slabs of baby backs and 8 pork butts for an entry fee of $150! Any meat not turned in is fair game for the crowds, free of charge, so you may find some leftover food by 8pm. Turn-in time is usually around noon-1pm, and if its a warm day, the crowds line up pretty quickly.

It sucks that I have to work until 7:30 that day. I hope there is some left at that time. Do you have to buy tickets for the event?

As far as I remember, no. They do offer tickets to sample BBQ eligible for the 'People's Choice' award, but that is for the pro division. As far as the backyard grillers are concerned, its fair game. The only problem we ran into last year were a few bums, homeless, thugs, etc. that "reside" in the same area where the comp was set up--they expected us to feed them. We had to be rude about it b/c the food is intended for festival-goers, not people looking for a handout.

No I won't, unfortunately. The event is scheduled the same day as UGA/South Carolina, and I have tickets to the game. Last year it rained all Friday and that night, and it was pretty miserable cooking conditions. Coincidently, the weather is not looking too shabby for this weekend either.

I just found out that we know someone in the backyard group! We'll be looking for the "Prime Time Swine" group. Good luck to all.

Jacks Old South won for whole hog and ribs. Big Bob Gibson won for ribs and Grand Champion. We had a BUNCH of back yard BBQ,but only a little bit of the comps. Backyarders had much better and tender stuff. But all in all,it was very cool! Gonna do some"Phil-B-Que" this weekend!

Back