"Blue Smoke" (complete combustion) possible with WSM??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I really need some help here. I do not own a WSM, but nearly every bar b que forum praises this thing, and I'm about to be totally convinced if I know one thing--can this smoker produce the ideal smoking conditions (blue smoke) for carcinogen-fee taste?

I know it's possible in offset smokers, because the firebox is offset and can burn as hot as wants. In the WSM, the firebox is below the meat--so the only way to regulate the temperature is to close/open vents--something that regulates temp but regulating oxygen levels. I have heard this is not good for smoking--you want to have a completely oxygen-rich fire to get the best smoking results.

I don't think carcinogen's are a function of the smoke.

According to this website - Grilling Bad For You? carcinogens come from meat cooked at high temperatures or fat dripping on coals causing flareups.

The WSM cooks with relatively low temperatures (225-275) as opposed to grilling (450+) and is designed to not have the fat drip on the coals.

So, I am not worried about carcinogens when I cook on my WSM.

You don't need a heavy smoke comming out of your cooker. Now, I've never thought the color of my smoke was blue. I always thought anything other than white was a bad thing. I believe anything other than white promotes creosote. Creosote makes your Q taste bitter. I believe the official word for the taste is "yuckie".

I agree with Russell, burning fat is a bad thing.

If the WSM didn't produce the ideal smoking condiditons it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Competitors, such as myself, wouldn't be using it in competitions and winning.

Case in point: ECB
You don't see any unmodified ECBs in competitions. If you see any ECBs they have been worked on to make them cook like the WSM.

Just my 2 cents.

yes, the WSM produces blue smoke. When you start the cook, there is usually a thicker white smoke but as the cook progresses, the smoke clears up and is a blue almost clear smoke. Blue smoke is obtained when you use the BRITU recipe using the standard lighting method (that's the point the author is making when the step is added to get everything burning prior to assembly of the cooker).

Most of us don't worry about the white smoke and just put the meat on right away.

Back