Blower will not turn off, always running from boot

Thanks for the detailed response. I changed the fan to pulse mode and that did not correct the problem. Here is a pic of my board along with the readings I got while the fan was 'off' and 'on'. I hope the link works.

ok so after looking at the image of my board I should probably test the output at the pin on the ATMega labeled BLW

https://goo.gl/photos/Y6Ru1jHmwuJfcwpGA

What does the blower feedback do?

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and get some isopropyl and a toothbrush and clean up that flux all over the board. There are some questionable joints there. Any pics of the topside of that board?

Charles

I'll take Pics tonight when I get home. So just scrub and all that extra junk will come off? I really struggled at the beginning, the only soldier I had was about the thickness of pencil led and was taking forever to melt so about halfway through I went and bought some solder that was about the thickness of wire and whatta difference that made.

Yup, scrub away. If you have some acetone (finger nail polish remover) it will work even better, just keep it away from components made of ABS.

If you have a Frys nearby, they have a spray solvent that will remove Flux and rosin from the board in a few seconds. I use on every board I make

John, thank you for your reply. Im not trying to offend, but I double checked the installation guide and only the 100/10 looks like it's backwards. I flipped it and now the board doesn't boot up at all. I get black blocks on the display and web says HM board not connected. Here is the new configuration.

https://goo.gl/photos/qdMDJ1jgjt8QycnT8

It's very possible that IC4 was damaged due to heat while you were fixing the orientation of the 100/10 cap. IC4 is right beside the cap and is the 3.3v regulator ( MCP1700-33 ) that provides power to the ATMEGA chip.

John, thank you for your reply. Im not trying to offend, but I double checked the installation guide and only the 100/10 looks like it's backwards. I flipped it and now the board doesn't boot up at all. I get black blocks on the display and web says HM board not connected. Here is the new configuration.

https://goo.gl/photos/qdMDJ1jgjt8QycnT8

You are correct, my eyes are not as good after a 10 hour day at work, and its 2am, lol.

John

It's very possible that IC4 was damaged due to heat while you were fixing the orientation of the 100/10 cap. IC4 is right beside the cap and is the 3.3v regulator ( MCP1700-33 ) that provides power to the ATMEGA chip.

I probably killed the cap to. So I'll order those two parts. Is there anything else I should get as a backup?

The cap is probably fine, but if you're ordering new parts, then might as well replace it.

In the mean time, you can take 3.3v from the RasPi by soldering on a jumper cable.

CZenjri.png

Thanks Steve, I'll give that a shot. That will tell me if I've killed IC4 correct? And HOPEFULLY fix my fan issus.

It works BUT

So I replaced IC4, Q1, and C12 ……..ohhh no I put a 47u/10 in the 100u/10 slot. I didn’t realize this mistake till I was drafting this post and went to the Assembly to get the part numbers. Sadly I really mangled the S*** outta the board removing the cap, putting the new cap in was almost impossible as the solder wouldn’t suck up to the board and looked like the little “roads” around the hole were peeling up so I kinda just left a fat glob of solder on there.

On boot I got black boxes on the display and the web said no HM attached. So I put my 3.3v jumper back on now everything boots and the fan works like it should.
Hooray but what am I risking having the wrong cap installed?

Glad to see it's working!

The 100u/10 cap is there to smooth out the 3.3v signal, so if your 3.3c IC4 is toast, then there's no big deal. Sounds like the new Q1 fixed your blower problem as well.

Tagging this thread since I'm having a similar issue.

My fan is running 100% as soon as I power up the HeaterMeter. Tried pulse mode, but there's no difference in how fast the fan spins. I have the 4.2 board with the included fan.

Back