BJ's chuck roll ?

Jeffr Hode

TVWBB Fan
So I want to try this chuck roll for this high holy day (second anual smoke day) and went to BJ's to get the slab. They had what was labeled "Beef Chuck Underblade; Pot Roast Boneless". I asked the butched and he said that he had not heard of chuck roll but when I said it was the shoulder he said this is what I was looking for. They were cut up and the largest one was 6 lbs.
I am throwing this little hunk on in the morning with some short ribs, providing I got the right cut.
Did I get the right cut for chuck roll ?
If not will this work ?

Happy Smoke Day to all !

jeff

Did we go to the same BJ's?
icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a lot of chuck but nothing that said chuck roll. There were cuts that said "cow knuckle" and other names I can't remember right now. I picked up one that had "shoulder" in the description. It's about 8 lbs. Knowing that chuck roll is the beef version of pork butt, I went with that.

When I got home I checked this site and found out I didn't do to bad with my choice. Not as big as a chuck roll but I think it will still be some good eating.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Would that be the BJ's in Paramus ? I am 8 hours into it at this point. 10 degrees to go......although it wasn't so smooth. My probe crapped out on my Maverick and I didn't have any choice but to head out and get another. I'll have to order another probe next week.

jeff

The BJ's I went to was a little farther west past Rockaway mall just off route 80.

I have a couple of butts on right now for a party tomorrow. I'm thinking of putting the beef on early in the a.m. since this cut is supposed to take from 8 to 10 hours to be done. A coule hours of rest for the meat and for me and it will be good to go. There is nothing like pulling and serving freshly cooked meat to please the crowd.

Let me know how yours turned out.

Jim

The beef turned out okay. I should have let it go a bit longer. I think the plateau for it was higher than any picnic ro butt that I have cooked and I was nervous about drying it out. I took it off at about 188 because it was there for so long and the thermometer showed very little resistance when pushed in. I foiled at 160, which a few have done here on the forum to speed up and tenderize. It pulled okay and tastes great, but didn't have that pork butt type of falling apart quality.

Enjoy ! What time did you say I should come over for dinner ? LOL.

Jeff

Jeff - I find that beef (chuck, chuck roll) works best taken to about 200 or so and takes me a LONG time to cook. I like it at a higher temperature because it pulls well and renders out some of the greasiness that beef is prone to. They definitely longer than butts for me. Not sure why, but seems to for me.

Glad the flavor worked well!

Plans changed and the chuck never made it on the smoker, just two BB's and some Italian sausage.
icon_smile.gif
It will make it on soon.

I plan on using the advise found here and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jim

I didn't wind up eating any of the chuck that day (except while puuling it). But on the reheat in the microwave on low until steamy it is great. Very tender and moist. I also picked through it by hand and removed a lot of the fatty pieces that i missed when it was hot.
Yummy.

Just got back from BJ's and they had a 20.05 lb and a 20.50lb one there. I usually like to get them in the 15-18lb range (perfect size). The price was right at $1.79lb.
icon_cool.gif

What was the cut called so I know what to get next time? My BJ's doesn't have anything labeled "chuck roll".

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim P.:
What was the cut called so I know what to get next time? My BJ's doesn't have anything labeled "chuck roll".

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's Labled "Chuck Roll" neck off.

Back