Bit off more than I can chew... but perhaps rescuable by you fine folks?

It may be the propane tank lock...it slips over a bolt and is tightened with a wing nut to secure the propane tank to the tank scale.

Or it may be the manifold support bracket.

A close-up photo showing the profile or any bends in the part would help.

It's the propane tank latch.

Honestly that doesn't look like a bad little grill. As others have mentioned it is an "A" model. One piece of REALLY bad advice you got was to "fire it up". If the grill was in storage that long there may be insects in those burners and you may get flame propagation under the control panel. Best thing? Remove the manifold and then slide the burners out to the right. Give them a good wire brushing with a new stainless steel brush. This will help open all the holes. Make sure the crossover tube is solid and well cleaned with the wire brush. They get clogged up on this model. Then flush the tubes out well with water (or as I do with brake clean solvent and the spray tube) and don't worry it dries quick with no residue. If you have compressed air blow everything clean. Then you can install the burners and look at proper flame pattern and such

So I came here to post pics about this grill I just picked up from a neighbor for free and it looks like it's the same grill as OPs: http://imgur.com/a/rNluX

The firebox seems solid, just years of caked on grease. Would pressure washing be ok on the lid and the lower part? The cart itself seems very solid with some light surface rust. I plan to sand and paint as much as I can.

The grill works- burner tubes, crossover tube and starter all work fine.. but they are corroded and the crossover tube is very rusted and missing a lot of pieces. I'm assuming I should fix this asap.

The cooking grates and flavorizer bars are rusted a little, but they are still very solid. The warming grid is rusted, but it just looks like surface rust and I'm assuming I can clean this.

My wife and I are charcoal people but we have a Q1200 for our gas needs currently. This looks like a decent grill if I have people over and need some more space. Is it worth the price of replacing the parts I need?

So I came here to post pics about this grill I just picked up from a neighbor for free and it looks like it's the same grill as OPs: http://imgur.com/a/rNluX

The firebox seems solid, just years of caked on grease. Would pressure washing be ok on the lid and the lower part? The cart itself seems very solid with some light surface rust. I plan to sand and paint as much as I can.

The grill works- burner tubes, crossover tube and starter all work fine.. but they are corroded and the crossover tube is very rusted and missing a lot of pieces. I'm assuming I should fix this asap.

The cooking grates and flavorizer bars are rusted a little, but they are still very solid. The warming grid is rusted, but it just looks like surface rust and I'm assuming I can clean this.

My wife and I are charcoal people but we have a Q1200 for our gas needs currently. This looks like a decent grill if I have people over and need some more space. Is it worth the price of replacing the parts I need?

Pressure washing would be fine, though it's debatable how well it will work. I prefer to use a 4in cup wire brush with an angle grinder for the inside of the firebox. Corrosion on the burner tubes is fine as long as the tubes are solid and the burner holes are all still separate. You can just replace the cross over tube if you want. If grates and bars are still solid, don't worry about replacing right now. Getting rust off the warming rack depends on how rusted it is. Whether to bother replacing is up to you. I haven't bothered with my 2 Gennys. The rack just isn't that useful to me. But, I think they are only like $15 or so.

Is it worth it ? Looks like about $30ish in parts to get it up and running again. Add in $6 for a rattle can of Rustoleum High Heat Ultra plus perhaps a few dollars for cleaning supplies. Call it $50 for a grill that will last 10 - 20+ years ? Yeah, I'dsay it'sworth it.

Thanks for the tips. I look forward to cleaning it up and using it.

I probably should have done it prior to lighting it, but if I test for leaks and find anything in the manifold area, is there a cheap way to refurbish the manifold without replacing it completely? Looks like it is an expensive part.

Generally, the manifold is not a problem. What you should look at is inside the tubes for any debris or spider webs. I don't recall anyone having to replace a manifold before. The main problems are damaged tubes or a bad regulator. The first thing to do is examine the tubes for any physical damage. The main culprit seems to be the crossover tube but you just have to check. Start by examining them for obvious damage and then try tapping them with a screwdriver gently to see how they sound. As for the regulator, that becomes pretty obvious when you try to start the grill. Good Luck with your rehab. My 20 yr old Genesis 1000 is a great gasser and should last another 20 years with a little care.

Thanks for the tips. I look forward to cleaning it up and using it.

I probably should have done it prior to lighting it, but if I test for leaks and find anything in the manifold area, is there a cheap way to refurbish the manifold without replacing it completely? Looks like it is an expensive part.

Thanks. Interesting that the manifolds seem to hold up considering they actually have moving parts! Weber quality I guess!

My crossover is definitely rusted out, but surprisingly still works. I'm still going to replace it.

Pressure washing would be fine, though it's debatable how well it will work. I prefer to use a 4in cup wire brush with an angle grinder for the inside of the firebox. Corrosion on the burner tubes is fine as long as the tubes are solid and the burner holes are all still separate. You can just replace the cross over tube if you want. If grates and bars are still solid, don't worry about replacing right now. Getting rust off the warming rack depends on how rusted it is. Whether to bother replacing is up to you. I haven't bothered with my 2 Gennys. The rack just isn't that useful to me. But, I think they are only like $15 or so.

Is it worth it ? Looks like about $30ish in parts to get it up and running again. Add in $6 for a rattle can of Rustoleum High Heat Ultra plus perhaps a few dollars for cleaning supplies. Call it $50 for a grill that will last 10 - 20+ years ? Yeah, I'dsay it'sworth it.

The angle grinder and cup wire brush combo works well. I just came in from the garage doing this on a Silver B I'm refurbing and it eats up the buildup on the walls of the firebox. Little tough to get it in the smallest nooks, but overall does a nice job on it. I didn't try a pressure washer, but I doubt it would have done what the grinder did.

Let's just say I needed a good shower afterwards, and I still ended up scrubbing in there haha

Here are some photos of my grills grates, flavorizer bars and burner tubes after I cleaned some junk off: http://imgur.com/a/NzYIL

I'm concerned with the rusting on the top of the grate. Earlier in this post someone said these are cast iron, but they seem like porcelain enameled steel to me. I feel like these need replaced but am welcome to everyone's input on them.

The flavorizer bars are rusty, but as I said before they are solid and are in tact. I think they're ok?

The burner tubes seem great themselves, but the crossover bar is about done. I'm conflicted a little here. I found a crossover for $10 on Amazon, and a whole set including the crossovers for $22. I feel like I should just do the whole set.

I forgot to take a pic of the igniter. Although it works, I am considering just replacing it as well because the box inside the grill is rusted through. (Edit: Actually, you can see it in the upper left of the burner photo)

Last edited:
Here are some photos of my grills grates, flavorizer bars and burner tubes after I cleaned some junk off: http://imgur.com/a/NzYIL

I'm concerned with the rusting on the top of the grate. Earlier in this post someone said these are cast iron, but they seem like porcelain enameled steel to me. I feel like these need replaced but am welcome to everyone's input on them.

The flavorizer bars are rusty, but as I said before they are solid and are in tact. I think they're ok?

The burner tubes seem great themselves, but the crossover bar is about done. I'm conflicted a little here. I found a crossover for $10 on Amazon, and a whole set including the crossovers for $22. I feel like I should just do the whole set.

I forgot to take a pic of the igniter. Although it works, I am considering just replacing it as well because the box inside the grill is rusted through.

Earlier in this thread, we were discussing SimonT's grates, which are cast iron. Your grill does indeed have different grates and yes, they are porcelain enameled steel. There were several different types of grates available for the Silver A when it first came out and in the decade or so that followed. Somewhere along the line, Weber stopped selling some of them and they changed up the styles offered.

Earlier in this thread, we were discussing SimonT's grates, which are cast iron.

Sorry, I should have looked closer and not assumed mine were the same. It does look like 3 different grates are made- porcelain enameled steel, porcelain enameled cast iron and stainless. Any recommendations on which one is the best to replace these with?

Officially, it looks like I'm looking at $35-$70 depending on which ones I get. I'm leaning towards cast iron, but of course it's a higher priced option which I'm not sure it's worth putting that much into this grill. Local walmart had Spirit E210s for $200.

Sorry, I should have looked closer and not assumed mine were the same. It does look like 3 different grates are made- porcelain enameled steel, porcelain enameled cast iron and stainless. Any recommendations on which one is the best to replace these with?

Officially, it looks like I'm looking at $35-$70 depending on which ones I get. I'm leaning towards cast iron, but of course it's a higher priced option which I'm not sure it's worth putting that much into this grill. Local walmart had Spirit E210s for $200.

I ordered the stainless grates from bbq parts. They are the hollow stainless variety and were 30 bucks. I've had them on my A for a year and they work well. The solid rods are better but pricier. See link below.

http://www.bbqparts.com/silvera.htm

You know with that Food Network branded stuff you're paying for just that.....................their name. If you want good cast iron stuff built for a lifetime buy Lodge products. Best stuff going IMO

Back