Bisket flat help

dean

TVWBB Pro
As I said below I have 2 small flats. I put them on at noon. Any way, what is the best way for flats? What temp do you foil them? After foiling how do you tell when they are done? Do ya do the probe or what? My last couple of briskets have been dry and like roast beef. I want to nail it this time.

Ignore the temperature and just cook till they are probe tender. I never foil mine till I rest them. If the brisket is dry it is quite possible it is underdone. Make sure you let it rest 30-40 minutes before slicing so it retains the juices.

Dean, where are you and what temp are you cooking at? Foiling isn't necessary with L&S but a good idea with HH. Cookem till done, probe test. If you foil just open foil every 30 min or so and test after they get to about 180.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dean:
As I said below I have 2 small flats. I put them on at noon. Any way, what is the best way for flats? What temp do you foil them? After foiling how do you tell when they are done? Do ya do the probe or what? My last couple of briskets have been dry and like roast beef. I want to nail it this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are better off cooking one large flat of at least 5-6 lbs than 2 small ones. I foil, because I get consistent results with foil. I foil around 160. You tell they are done by checking tenderness. Open up the foil, stick a probe in the meat and see how it goes in. If it goes in with little or no resistance, it is done. If not, close the foil and cook a bit longer. Forget temps in the foil as they are meaningless and do not equal tenderness

If you have time, take a moment and read up on the high heat meathod for bisket located through out this board. I have tried it and love it.

Back