Birthday Rib Smoke !

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I found St-Louis style ribs at Costco in Canada ! - wowie !

Anyway here is the journey in images.

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=bbqbeerman&AID=865599&Pres=Y

(if only one images appears - press "thumbnail view" at the top which will show you all of the images available )

Total time: 6 hours 15 mins, cook temp varied between 225-250, but most of it was at the 225 range.

Ribs cost just over $30 for 3 huge racks.

Btw, www.dotphoto.com gives you free storage of images, which is really neat.

Mark.

Wow, that was great...I am still waiting for my first smoker and have never smoked anything before..This was what I needed to whet my appetite for the day. All I have been doing is reading, reading, and more reading, nice to see it in action. BTW, I "have read" that you could roll the ribs up and skewer them or use a rack but see you chose not too, have you found any difference?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I was one of those who was reading, reading, reading, and also posting a lot of questions.

I decided to take the plunge and bought the Weber Smokey Mountain, all I can say is it was worth the $349.99 + 15% taxes I paid here for it in Canada - the thing makes a professional out of an amateur. This is ONLY my second smoke session, and the results are unbelievable.

I put a rub on the ribs, and put them on the smoker, and the WSM created the magic. yeah I have seen that you can roll the ribs up, but that just doesn't work for me, I guess it's personal "taste" - but taste has nothing to do with it haha, it's visual, I like my ribs flat like they are served in the pubs around here, I guess it's great if you need the space though. I don't think they unroll back to their original form when they come out of the smoker as they "lock" into that shape, taste though would be exactly the same.

Anyway Brian, get that smoker, you'll be amazed at what you can do with it, - I just can't believe the results that I have had so far.

Mark

I roll my ribs on the WSM and then for maybe the last 30 minutes or hour of the cook I lay them flat and they come back to shape right away for me. Usually I roll them because I have something else cooking on one of the racks so when that comes off I have more room to spread them out and I find it is easier to add a glaze this way. Also I think handling the ribs when they are rolled is much easier
Jamie

Mark,

So, that's what the old gasser is for, huh?!? Just kidding. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Nice pictorial essay. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail.

Rich G.

well, I will have to wait a while...Amazon is not shipping it till the 10th-14th. That gives me a lot of time to learn and fill up my Smoker's Binder (wife thinks I suck all the fun out of things by taking it too far, but she will enjoy the results I suppose). I Teetered on what to buy with the smoker to get the price over 200 (no payments for three months) and included the rib rack.
So when I saw your ribs just sitting on the rack it made me think I misspent my money. I have heard mixed reviews in here on them. It seemed logical to me (after the fact) that curling them or using racks might allow the juices to drip out. Have you or anyone else tried both and have a definitive answer to that one.

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Campbell:
[qb] I Teetered on what to buy with the smoker to get the price over 200 (no payments for three months) and included the rib rack.
So when I saw your ribs just sitting on the rack it made me think I misspent my money. I have heard mixed reviews in here on them. It seemed logical to me (after the fact) that curling them or using racks might allow the juices to drip out. Have you or anyone else tried both and have a definitive answer to that one.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In retrospect, I would have probabably gone with the Weber chimney starter in the same situation. You could get by without a rack, but it can be quite handy. I couldn't help thinking when I saw Mark's pics that those ends being all the way out to the edges were certainly going to end up dried out. With the Weber rack, you can cut your racks in half and have them safely away from the heat rising around the outer edges of the pan.

As far as losing juices, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Racked, they may just render off fat better than if they were laid flat.

I'm curious about Doug's comment on cutting the rack in half to accomodate the rib rack. I have thought of that and that it would be convenient. However, I wondered if decreasing the size of the cut of meat would have an adverse effect. Wouldn't it cook faster and therefore diminish the benefits of the "low and slow" ?

PRG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
[qb] I wondered if decreasing the size of the cut of meat would have an adverse effect. Wouldn't it cook faster and therefore diminish the benefits of the "low and slow" ? PRG [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you cut a solid piece of meat like a roast, yes, but with ribs, the meat remains the same thickness-- the penetration of heat energy into the meat remains the same. Some would argue the potential exists to double the number of "dried ends", but I don't find the ends where I made the cuts to suffer from it.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for that info, yeah makes 100% complete sense... I should have cut some of the racks I had that extended right to the end of the WSM, but to tell you the truth they were not even burn or tried out at all to my surprise.... but... but........ in future I'll cut them in half when I have the room... which I did on this smoke session.

Mark
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have always cut my baby back slabs in half. It's easier for marinating and fitting on the cook surface. I've never had a dry problem with them.

Not to mention that, if you're serving a smaller group, the presentation of an intact half-rack portion looks better plated up without it (the full rack) having been cut post-cook. Gives each diner the impression their portion was cooked to order. I really like serving St. Louis-cut spares this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back