Binging

R. Hutchins

TVWBB Fan
Within the last 90 days I've added 2 used Performers and a Jumbo Joe to my OTG and Smokey Joe mini-WSM to my gear. I didn't really plan for it, but CL produced the listings; and the way of the flesh is weak. :p

The Jumbo Joe was practically brand new. There was ash from one fire still in the grill. Wiping it out left no residue. It even came with the box, but I can't claim NIB since it's been used.

One of the Performers, the green kettle one, is in really bad shape with rusted through spots where 2 of the welds for holding the grill were. I couldn't resist it at $40 figuring it would be worth that for parts. I have cut out the bad metal and plan to make a sandwich of steel patches, heat resistant sealer and pop rivets. It's more a challenge than a need for a cooking chamber but it never hurts to have extras, eh? The ash sweeper blades were completely gone. I'll have to buy replacements but the good news is that there is no rust around the hole where they are mounted. The strange thing is that the gas lighter works perfectly. If I ever get this back in shape for use, I'll post pics; but I might part it out and/or put my OTG kettle in the kart.

The other Performer with the blue kettle is a newer model and works really well. There are 2 problems with it. There is a spot on the lid that appears to have been banged pretty hard where the enamel has come off. The gas lighter doesn't work, but I haven't disassembled it yet to see if it's salvageable. Otherwise it works quite well.

Does anyone have any advice for the broken paint restore? I was thinking I might clean it thoroughly and use body shop dollies to smooth it out then try to paint it. Good idea or a waste of time?

Also, what about the gas starter? Just buy a complete replacement part?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and suggestions.

Back