Big rib roast cook 22.5 WSM

RD James Jr.

Hello all,

Thanks to all of you for great advice.( i have been lurking for awhile...)

I am going for it this Christmas with an 18 lb 7 bone in rib roast on my 22.5 WSM. I am thinking of Alton Browns method of low (225) at first, rest, then high (500 ish)for 10 min or so on the kettle. Any ideas on how long this will take? I want to have it carve ready at 4pm or before and am thinking of starting with a room temp roast at 11 am.

I have a before photo of the mighty big beast piece but do not know how to post it.

Thanks for any input.

RD,

I can't tell you how long, but I can tell you you won't be disappointed with AB's method. I've been using it for 6 or 7 years on Christmas day and it's a hit every time with everyone.

I usually do a 3 bone roast and it takes about 4 hours according to AB's way. I don't know if more weight will mean more time, like a pork butt, but I would suspect a little more. I'm sorry I cannot be help, only encouragement. Good luck.

Just recently got a WSM 18 1/2 and I'm not sure if it will fit but I've always done my 7 bone on my UDS. Usually 4 - 5 Hrs at 250, Remove when internal temp hits 125 then rest for a 1/2 hr. Then it's off to the oven for a 500 deg blast for 10 min.

Back