Big difference between point and flat what happened?

PaulH

Hey Guys,
I cooked my first brisket a couple weeks ago after a bunch or really good chicken, rib and turkey cooks. I bought a 15 pound packer and cooked it overnight. I pulled it off at 185 and the probe went into the point like butter. I didn't check the flat. We ate the flat for dinner and it was just ok not as tender as i had hopped and it seemed to be a little over smoked. Well the point was frozen and we just thawed it for dinner last night and the point was great nice and tender and the smoke flavor was much better. I thought the flat is supposed to be better? Could this be from my piece of meat? What should I do different next time to get a better flat?

Check the flat for tender first. You checked the point at which time the flat may have been over done

In my experience the point is always more tender because it has more fat content.

One thing to remember is that the grain of the meat on the point runs opposite to the grain on the flat. When cutting either of them, you need cut across the grain to keep the meat tender...

A real good rest for an hour after the cook also helps maintain the moisture in the flat. Wrap in foil and rest the brisket in an insulate oven without the heat on or a dry cooler. It will stay hot until serving...

It also helps to inject the flat with beef broth, apple juice or a vinegar based injection. There are also really good professional injections online called Butchers Brisket injection or FAB-B works good, too.

Check the flat for tender first. You checked the point at which time the flat may have been over done

I'm still on a steep learning curve on brisket... If the flat was overdone, I thought it would fall apart, i.e. roast beef as the pejorative.

I would have guessed the flat was underdone.

thanks for the help. if the flat was overdone what do i do next time so that it doesn't get overcooked while the point is finishing up. I did make sure to separate the point and flat into two pieces and cut each one across the grain.

I cook by testing the flat for doneness/tenderness. The point is fattier and will be more tender (and probably done first).

From one Paul H to another Paul H
icon_smile.gif
, I agree with Steve. Sounds like it was underdone.When I was doing the low and slow on brisket I always went to 195 in the thickest part of the flat(close toward the point). I let it rest minimum of 1 1-2 hours in foil and wrapped in towels.As far as the smoke ring ,maybe the meat wasn't cold enough. I cook frozen meat and always get a nice ring. I do the high heat method now and some of the ring gets "washed out". Don't be discouraged. Analyze your cook and try again. Learn from your miscues and tweek, tweek ,tweek till you're right on. Doesn't make a difference which method you use (high heat or low and slow)they all can turn out great product

If the flat isn't tender then it's undercooked. Don't bother checking the point; it will be tender much sooner than the flat. Also, you can use temps as a general guide, but you really can't determine when a brisket is done by temp alone. Use a probe, fork, etc. to test for tenderness. When it slide into the flat like a warm knife into butter, then it's done. Each brisket is a little different; it's done when the flat is tender. Sounds like you were just about there; just needed to leave it on a little longer. The point is great chopped up for many other recipes; sammies, stuffing for enchiladas, chili, mixed with eggs, inside ABTs, etc. Many will separate the flat from the point when the flat is tender and put the point back on to further cook it. This renders out more fat and further crisps up the bark; this is where 'burnt ends' come from. Very tasty.

Paul

The point is always the best part of the brisket. Cook it until the flat is done then eat the point. Chop up the flat and make something out of it later.

Ive always had better luck with the point than the flat...my flats are always dry but the points are where the moneys at.

Back