Big cook this week, Results!!!

Ed Lowery

TVWBB Member
My step son is getting married Saturday night, and I am doing the rehearsal dinner Friday night. Will be feeding 40 adults, 5 kids. This is the plan.
Cook 6 butts(6 lbs each), pulled pork
Cook 2 briskets(10-12 lbs each), served sliced
20 pounds of potato salad
3 Gallons of baked beans
Buns
Chips
Pickle slices
5 Gallons tea
Smll amount of assorted soft drinks
Wife is taking care of the desserts.

Cook plans, start the butts Thursday morning when I get home from work(6:00a). Leave them in the smoker until 9:00p, foil and finish in the oven. Pull, place in large foil trays and refrig. Start the briskets at 10:00p, they should come off around 3:00p, hold in hot cooler, serve at 6:30p. Reheat pork with a splash of mop at the church.

We have four great friends that will help us at the church with the food and serving the wedding party.

Please let me know about this plan and menu. I have cooked for a party of 30 before with the help of this great forum.

Thanks, Ed

Plan sounds fine. Might want to get some throw-away containers to send folks home with some leftovers-- I think you're going to have more than enough.

I find that people in that kind of a setting eat less than what they think they will.
You have enough pork butt for aprox 60+ 4oz sandwiches and 40 4oz servings of brisket. Plus a 1/2 pound of potato salad per person and then the beans.
No one at your dinner is going to go hungery.
Have a good time.
Jim

Sounds like a heap load of food. Take Dougs advise and have plastic containers for folks to take leftovers home. They will love it! Better yet wrap up left overs and give as favors at the wedding
icon_biggrin.gif

Or vaccuum pack a lot of the meat, freeze it with the top tier of their wedding cake, and feed it to them on their 1st anniversary.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like you're going to have a great feed at the reception. Good luck, and best wishes to the new couple!

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

OK, things are going well, I've got 6 4.5lb butts mustard rubbed and 2 briskets midnight rubbed in the frig. Smoker is clean and ready for fire in the morning when I get home from work.

Thanks for all the help!

Its only Fitting that Jim Minion, can not spell "Hungry" See above response!!

All the more reason to vote for Jim M.!!

Who's taking bets on if he can spell "Thirsty"?

Wow, that's a LOT of food for 40 peeps. You probably could've gotten by with three 6 lb. butts (one will make about 15 sammiches) instead of 6. Everybody likes brisket though, it always goes first.
icon_smile.gif

I'd vacuum seal multiple packs of pulled pork and have them ready to send home with anyone who wants some, or with the happy couple. IMHO you should only heat up and serve 3 of the butts and keep the rest in reserve vacuum-sealed and refrigerated...it's never the same after it's been heated up for serving and sits out for awhile. Serve all the brisket, they'll love you for it.

P.S. If you don't have a vacuum sealer, you should! But if you don't, I'd use ziplock freezer baggies instead to send home with folks.

I ended up buying 4.5lb(before trim) butts. The grocery store that had them on sale this week carries small ones. That should cut down on the leftovers some and still give me plenty. I'd much rather have too much as to run out! Also picked up 5 more adults to feed.

Thanks for all the help!

Everything went great. I started smoking at 6:00 thursday morning, finished the last brisket at 3:00 friday afternoon. Ended up feeding 52 people. Had enough pork left over for about 3 more sandwichs. Had about 1 1/2 pound of brisket left. So much for people not eating as much! They were getting up and going back for more. Many compliments on the beans and tater salad also.

Thanks again to everyone on this great forum!

Ed

Back