Big Cook Ideas

Bob D

Hi all, I need some advice. I got my pulled pork down very well (IMHO) and a friend of mine who owns a bar and grill is having the regional Texas – Holdem porker tournament and he has asked if I would make pulled pork and of course I said yes.

Now my question is there is going to be 120 poker players during the day for the tournament and probably another 30 to 50 folks who just walk in and such. I was wondering how many butts I will need, I have never cooked for this many folks. I have my WSM, and my NBBD offset, would 6 to 8 butts around 8 lbs or so be enough? I will also me making a few pizzas in the bar’s pizza oven. Thanks for any help very much.

Average 1/3 pound of finished pork per person. Figure 50-60% yield from uncooked weight. Therefore, 170 / 3 = ~57 pounds net cooked = ~95 to 114 lbs uncooked weight. So that means roughly double your estimate, or slightly more.

Side dishes offered will impact how much pork is consumed. Placing the pork further down the serving buffet line will minimize its consumption versus earlier.

Good luck. Have fun.
icon_wink.gif

MMM that’s a lot of butts at least 12 I can do maybe 10 all together using both smokers. I think that might work along with cooking pizzas also. I will have fun doing it just running ideas thru my head. Nice idea pitting the pork at the end of line. I can use all the ideas offered.
Thanks,

Bob,

Let me preface what I have to say with the fact that I'm sure your pulled pork will be wonderful and they will eat it up.

It's always a big ego stroke when someone, especially a friend compliments us on our Q, and then asks us to cook for an occassion such as the one you're doing. However...is your friend employing you to cook for him, or are you an independent contractor/caterer?

When old Mr. Johnson from over in Culver gets sick after eating at the poker tournament, is his lawyer contacting the bar owner or you?

Do you have liability insurance to cover you in such cases? Many states require that an off site caterer work from a certified kitchen...do you have one?

Listen, not trying to throw rain on your parade but these are things that many of us have and should think about. Some might think I'm being a little ridiculous, well, if people can sue because they spill coffee on themselves and low and behold it's hot...OH MY GOD, who'd a thunk.

Good luck.

Beside putting the pork at the end of the line...

You could get smaller buns. At my last party I got some buns that were about 2/3rds the size of hamburger buns. I figured the people that wanted pulled pork sandwiches could make a second. I also cut my ribs into 2 bone sections. That way people could get a little bit of everything.

As an after thought, you could make some pulled pork a week or so ahead of time. Vac seal it and freeze it. When ready for use put the frozen packs in a pot of cold water. Light a fire under the pot and bring the water to a boil. After about 3 minutes of boiling open packs and serve.

Likewise as Doug mentioned, most caterers comment that each person will consume an average of 1/3 lb each. The pizza might be good, but those folks will love your Q!

Hi thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I will be taking my smokers to the bar and grill and doing the cooking there so I have access to plenty of hot water and stuff do a safe sanitary que. I will have to get with the manager to see how much he wants to buy. I am looking forward to doing this as I will find out how good I really am. If it rains guess it turn into a pizza and hot dog feast
icon_frown.gif

Back