Big Cook(at least for me) planned for 7/3

Don C.

TVWBB Super Fan
Ok friends, all suggestions and comments are welcomed.

As the topic states, I will be doing my first BIG cook. I have 2 7lb. butts in my frezzer and plan to 'fridge defrost them 1 week prior.

The menu:
The 2 butts
Beer
Spares(3 to 5 racks)
Brisket(flat, can't seem to get a packer)
Sausage
Beer
Hot Dogs(found some 1/4lb. monsters!)
ABT
Chillie
Beer
Assorted sides(Wife's descrection)

I plan to do the butts first, overnighter on Friday. Ribs will go on Sat. with the brisket sitting under them.

Some of the brisket will be used in the chillie. Sunday, the day of the party will be the sausage, hot dogs and ABT's.

The beer will pretty much be going in the cook startin Friday...hehe.

My only real concern is defrosting the butts. Do you think a week is enough time?

Oh, the butts will be rubbed with Bad Byrons, the brisket and ribs with Texas BBQ rub.

Rath *hoping all goes well*

Take pics of those 1/4 pound hot dogs!
icon_eek.gif
I gotta see them. And I think you need more beer on the menu.
icon_biggrin.gif
A week for 7 to 8 pound butts should be good ~ Depends of the fridged temp though. Mid to upper 30's should be ok.
Hmmm...7 to 8 hour drive...
icon_wink.gif

You could always check a couple of days out to check if they are still pigcicles. If so, put them (probably one at a time) into a full sink of water and let slooooowww water run through the sink. This will definitely move things along.

I'm with Bill -- pics of things, particularly those Monster Dogs.

Cool! Another Jersey BBQ overnighter. I live in NJ and will look out for the smoke signals and follow my nose till I find it.

MMMM... BBQ
MMMM... BEER

Thanks my friends. Perhaps I should clarify. The butt's total wieght is 15lbs. They were frozen side by side
icon_frown.gif

I will check them a couple days out tho. Thanks for that info.

And you are more then welcome to stop on by Bill and Scott
icon_smile.gif

Rath *of course there will be pics, of the beer right?*

Don,

Just curious- where in Jersey are U.

I plan on going to Wildwood in 2 weeks for the state championship (I am judging) and also Guitarbeque in Asbury Park the end of July.

Scott,
I live in a half a horse town called Bridgeton, 15 mins north of Vineland. I am about 1/2 an hour away from Deleware.

Rath *Livin' below the Mason/Dixon Line*

Ok friends,
The butts thaw'd perfectly in time to start my cook
icon_smile.gif

They went in the WSM at 4pm with apple and hickory as the wood. I realize this is going to be the longest part of the cook and if anything untoward happens, I'll let you know.

If not, then my next post will be tomorrow when I start the ribs.

Oh! Small change to the menu, I did a chuck roast instead of the brisket(didn't find one I liked).

Rath *pics to follow on the morrow*

Back