Big Brisket Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
I'm doing a Brisket Friday night, for Saturday Supper, and ended up with a 14.36 pounder. Granted it'll weigh less after trimming, but I wanted to experiment with putting the point back on for burnt ends, and with this size, don't think I'll have time. Any problems with freezing the point and doing it another time? Also I assume that adding more wood, when putting the point back on, won't do any good as smoke absorbtion is done at that point?? Finally, I wanted something on the spicey side, so I'm going with the wet rub posted by Rick H. in the recipe forum. Any other suggestions for a spicey rub?

You may actually have the time to try for burnt ends. I did a USDA Choice 14-pounder recently and it was done in not much more than 14 hours, which depending on when you start would still give you time for Saturday dinner.

The way I understand it, meat will absorb smoke as long as you keep applying it, you might not want to add wood chunks for a point that has already been cooking 12+ hours.

Good Luck,

Rick

Kirk-

Gotta go with Rick here.... I had a 14lb Choice packer take less than 1hr/lb (230?) to get done (the Choice ones seem to get tender much faster than the Select ones....which often never get tender for me!) So, depending on your timing, you may be just fine.

Also, the last time I did this, I had the brisket done about 2 hrs before dinner (want it to rest for at least an hour in the cooler anyway.) So, I separated the point, wrapped up the flat, then threw the point back on and kicked the heat up to about 265?. When dinner was done, the point was also done, so I removed it, let it cool off a bit, then wrapped and tossed in the fridge. The fat was well rendered, and it was tasty sandwich makin's.

I'll stop rambling now....

Rich

Thanks guys...interesting. I've done several pork butts, but only one briskett. It was 10 lbs, and after 9 hours it was at 177. For some reason I stopped taking notes at that point, but I know I left it on till 185-190. I think I'll check it after trimming and figure 1 1/4 hours per pound and sounds like I'll be fine. No big deal anyway, not under any real time schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back