Big Boston Butt, What do I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And don't suggest exercise!

But Enough about me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

When I was in BJ?s yesterday I bought a 16 lb. Boston Butt (I remembered reading something about this cut on some BBQ forum). Is this what you use to make pulled pork? What else is it good for?

The whole thing was only about $20 so it?s a pretty cheap cut of meat.

Thanks!

Craig

Craig-

Is that one butt, or a cryovac with two pieces? Normally, when I get pork butt, it's a cryo with 2 butts about 7-9lbs each. If you have one piece that's 16lbs, that was one big hog!!

Yep, the butt is the choice (IMHO) for pulled pork. Check the Let's Cook section of this site for a "how-to". Pork butt is also good for making sausage if you're into that. Grind it up, and it has about the right ration of lean to fat. Or, you can make carnitas, but that gets a bit off topic and unrelated to BBQ or WSMs.

If I were you, I'd get that WSM fired up, make up some coleslaw, get some cheap, white hamburger buns and have a pulled pork party. What time should I be there?

Rich G.

Rich,

I live outside of Boston (thus the Boston Butt joke!) but if you don't mind the air fare I'll let you know!

I just got my WSM on Wednesday and I'm doing my first cook tomorrow. 6 racks of ribs using BRITU. I'm looking forward to it. I've got a nice Weber Genesis Gold grill but I haven't gotten a really good batch of ribs out of it as of yet.

Regards,

Craig

Craig...

Welcome!

Rich is correct....if it is truly a butt, you have 2 of them.

If not, you have the entire shoulder which includes the butt and the picnic.

Commercial hogs grow to an average weight of 260lbs. at slaughter. Thus it is not possible to have a 16 lb. butt.

Craig,

I live out in the Milford area. What BJ's did you go to? I've been to a couple, and while they have a steady supply of baby-backs, I rarely see any butts. As a matter of fact, I seem to have difficulty in getting butts. They aren't all that readily available here. I understand that most of them get grund up to make sausage, or sliced to make country-style "ribs".

Sorry, don?t know about Market Basket.

The Brand New BJs in Dedham had it. I haven?t opened the package yet, but the whole thing weighs 16 lbs. I will warn you. The BJs in Dedham is a prototype for future stores. They are horrible! Big lines, spoiled food. They have only been open for about three weeks so I am hoping that they get better. None of the staff know what they are doing. I was so mad that I told my wife that we are not renewing our membership. I?m checking out Costco this week. I?ll let you know?.

But they did have a Boston Butt so I guess that is something. Interesting it was not near the ribs. It was in the pork section next to the hams.

Thanks, Craig.

Maybe it's just bad timing on my part. I usually go there in the evening. Maybe, they have butts in the back, and I just need to ask for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back