Big Bird on the Mini.

image-17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image-16.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It may be hard to see in the picture because I have some coals left in the basket but it really helps with air flow and the coals burn more evenly because they are packed in there together pretty well. You will only need one sheet of expanded metal. I traced the charcoal grate onto the expanded metal with a sharpie and cut it out. Then I measured 3 sections vertically at 3 1/4" to make the walls. I crimped the edges back to make it easy to lift and handle. I recommend using this mod if you have a SJG.

Last edited:
And just a side note. I had that many coals left after smoking for 2 hours at 250 degrees. These mini's are very fuel efficient.

Wow. Just awesome. I just ordered my vasconia pot and will slowly start making my charcoal basket for my SJG. What's the gauge on yours - 18 or so. And how much of it did you buy? It seems like everything up here in Canada is more expensive, even at the big box stores, because we just don't buy in the volume as you Americans down there! ;-)

Last edited:
I am currently trying to figure out how to cook a 20/22 lb turkey. My top grate in the mini is not low enough. Maybe I could stand it up and sit on the tamale pot lip grate? Any ideas?

I've heard of beer butting turkey with a fosters can. I use the steamer lip with a grate on it to beer butt chicken.

I bet a 20lb bird would fit in there sitting on a can.

I've heard of beer butting turkey with a fosters can. I use the steamer lip with a grate on it to beer butt chicken.

I bet a 20lb bird would fit in there sitting on a can.

Never thought of using a Foster's can. Great idea.

Back