bi-level smoking

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First off, thanks for the exceptional advice and encouragement that everyone associated with this website has provided to myself over the last two months. The WSM is nothing short of spectacular but part of it is knowing that I could always depend on my fellow Q-fiends to get me through.

This is my first post but I have question relating to heat loss. I have not tried to use both layers of my WSM for cooking, but it would seem that it must take quite awhile to do the cycle of moping on both pieces of meat (while assembling and reassembling all the neccesary layers of the smoker) Some sections of the website seem to frown on long open periods of time which lose large amounts of heat.

I am single and maybe the benefit of a partner helps to get the job done quickly; but, I was just curious.

My experience is only 4 BRITU (awesome) and a brisket on top (too beef-jerky-like for my tastes) I am doing my first pork butt this weekend and I can't wait to see the steam rise while tearing!!!

Troy-

I stopped mopping about 18 months ago. I couldn't notice much appreciable (well, none really) difference, and it does mean less work (which is nice on long cooks like butt/brisket.)

Here's a suggestion for you. Get another butt, cook one on the top grate, and one on the Mop the top one, but not the bottom one and see what you think of the difference, if any, between the two.

If you still want to mop (top and bottom), then you can use a spray bottle for most liquid mops and you should be able to shoot the bottom grate pretty well through from the top, or through the fire access door.

Hope that helps.

Rich G.

Also if you were to cook 2 butts. If you positionded both butts in the center of the grates. Would'nt the top butt baste the bottom butt? So there would be no need to mop the bottom butt?

There was a thread about mopping over on alt.food.barbecue fairly recently. The overall opinion expressed was that mopping adds nothing to the quality of the end product.
I used to mop, I stopped over a year ago. I haven't seen any negative effect to the meat.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back