BGE or WSM

Seriously, if you can't drop a grand without caring, you shouldn't look at an egg or anything that expensive. The WSM is a much better value. $299 is a bargin. I have a WSM and a gasser. A WSM and a kettle is also a great combination. About the only thing I've considered an egg for is pizza and there are even ways to do that pretty well on a kettle. If money's no object buy them all, I'm sure it would be fun. For me, the value of the webers carried the day. The other thing that made me buy a WSM was this site. I started reading it just after I bought a cheap smoker. I chucked the cheap unit and got a WSM and am happy I did.

What he said...

I was trying to decide if it was worth holding out another couple years for an Egg but I have gotten enough feedback to know the WSM will be perfect.

Looks like you already have a plan, but doing a long low cook on a BGE with an ATC is pretty nice to have. Being able to cook for more than 12 hours is nice. 12 hours is an average time for brisket, but kind of short for a butt 6+ pounds. Nice to NEVER have to refuel with a BGE. They're not perfect though. If you search you should find more reviews with pros and cons.

At the end of the day not sure it matters. The price on the WSM is tough to beat. If money were no object I think the BGE is tough to beat. I am excited with the WSM and the two cooking racks. I had gotten pretty darn good with my kettle so I think this should be even better.

I can't see much advantage to the eggs other than being able to get getting really, really hot and being insulated. In general ceramic cookers = gimmick to me.

I have two 18.5" WSM and would not trade them for the world! Also have a kettle, but that is for roasting and grilling. I personally believe the WSM smokes better than the kettle and renders out the fat better, more smoke, better bark and cooks better tasting BBQ. I have a silver bullet smoking jacket and a Digi Q, so I can get over 20 hours of smoke time on one load of briq. I can go to bed with it at 250 and wake up with it at 250, it is great to get a good nights sleep. I have done 8 butts on one of my 18.5", it was hard, but it can be done. I am from Texas and like my Texas BBQ and I believe the WSM does it the best (brisket, sausage, and ribs).

Don't have a BGE, but my grill is an OTG, and its a great grill. If you have the money and like to sear your steaks in under a minute or grill a pizza at 800 degrees, then you might want a BGE. Both the BGE and WSM have their die hard users that would recommend them highly. The best thing to do, if possible. is to find someone who has a BGE or WSM and see if you can take them for a test smoke.

Last edited:
I don't know that I'd call them a gimmick. They've been around longer than kettle grills and bullets. They are a great smoker. I've had one for 10 years, but I'm not a cheerleader for them. There's pros and cons. BTW, I don't think high heat cooks are their advantage. A kettle can sear a steak just as good if not better and you don't lose any arm hair.

So 3 of them went completely unused during your ownership???:confused:

As crazy as it sounds, yes that's correct.

I bought 2 of them during the big WSM closeout Home Depot was having this time last year - one I paid $164 for the other $60. Made a little profit off the first, a huge profit (200%) off the second. The first WSM I ever got was a used unit that was "rescued" as it had not been very well taken care of. I refurbed it and sold it without ever using it (for about what I had tied up in it, i.e. no profit). Below is a link to a previous thread on it.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?12856-Newest-addition-to-the-Weber-family

I have too many grills as is and, if I didn't have 2 kamados, a Performer (which I've used to smoke a pork butt for 15 hrs), and the Jumbo kettle I'd have a WSM. But I'm overgrilled enough as is. :D

Kenny - don't give up on your dreams of owning a Big Green Egg. Do what I did - Keep a close eye on Craigslist and when one comes up at or below your max price, then pull the trigger. I was prepared to pay $550-$600 for a used large with a nest, but kept missing them on CL (always a day late). Then the one I bought popped up for only 400 bucks. I called the owner within 15 minutes of the post going live, and picked it up the following weekend.

I've only used it once in the 5 months I've owned it. Hopefully next summer I'll get to use it more.

Last edited:
I won't give up but will delay for awhile. i am confident the WSM will be perfect and great way to improve my smoking skills.

The WSM (and this forum) got me started with smoking and charcoal cooking.

I would never get rid of my first WSM - it is a great smoker and has sentimental value to me.

With that being said, I now own a BGE large + mini and a Primo XL. The ceramics are good grills, smoker, ovens and with the right accessories, you can wok in them. They are very versatile cookers and are extremely efficient on charcoal.

I am also sure the same cooking setups can be accomplished with a WSM and a kettle.

I have had ALOT of grills over the past 10 years. There is only one I regret getting rid of so far. My Weber Performer. :(

The WSM (and this forum) got me started with smoking and charcoal cooking.

I would never get rid of my first WSM - it is a great smoker and has sentimental value to me.

With that being said, I now own a BGE large + mini and a Primo XL. The ceramics are good grills, smoker, ovens and with the right accessories, you can wok in them. They are very versatile cookers and are extremely efficient on charcoal.

I am also sure the same cooking setups can be accomplished with a WSM and a kettle.

I have had ALOT of grills over the past 10 years. There is only one I regret getting rid of so far. My Weber Performer. :(

Ha!

The day I part with my $40 Performer is the day I give up grilling for good! ;)

Back