Beyond Mr Brown ?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I've been cooking the Mr Brown recipie for pork shoulders for over 5 years now and while its good I'd like to find some others favorite rub recipe's to experiment on. Now I searched the recipe folder for butt rub recipies but there arent alot of them (or i'm jsut not searching well for them).

Heres what I'm looking for:

Mr Brown has seved me well for a rub but I'm looking for something perhaps not as peppery but still with a nice flavor profile and bark and I'm not afraid of a little heat in it.

I'd also be interested in what YOUR favorite pork shoulders have been rubbed with? I prefer to mix my own because in MJilwaukee we ahve access to great spice suppliers but I need a new recipe!!

Thanks!

if you have your mind set on making your own, there are a bazillion recipes online to get your base. i used to always make my own until i was talked into trying dizzy dust and john henry's pecan rub. i love the both of them. and pretty much just use those these days.

Kevin, those look exactly like what I'm looking for!! thanks!! Teh first one looks particularly good!! Do you ahve a favorite wood combination to go with it?

With sweeter rubs I like something that tends toward bite-y. For butts I'll often go with straight hickory (pecan is an option) because of their size and because the meat, usually, I'm going to pull and mix. For something thin though--like ribs--or whem I am going to slice the butts rather than pull, I use mostly something milder (orange or apple) plus a little hickory.

I thought I'd kick this discussion up again. I have 4 butts I'm going to put on on Sunday night. One I'm going to slather with a bottle of Pratts Carolina gold a Mustard based Sauce. The other three are up for grabs.

I may go with old faithful Mr. Brown but if anyone has any rubs they would recommend give superior results to Mr Brown I'm open to the possibilities. I'm not looking for anything too out there just something with a nice flavor. A homemade version of Bad Byrons Butt rub could be fun or something along those lines.

I also amd considering using some of Ray Lampe's wonderful recipies but wanted to pick your brains for what yoru fav's are. Rubs to make that is not to buy.

Thanks

I have enjoyed using Magic Dust, either Mike Mill's from "Peace, Love, and Barbeque" or Steven Raichlen's "BBQ USA". Slight variations between the two recipes. But I thought it was a nice flavor on a butt.

Tom,my wife and I saw Steven Raichlen do a "carolina" butt on Primal Grill. So,we are having it tomorrow for dinner. The recipe is on primalgrill.org. I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_smile.gif

Tom,put the butt on about 7 AM. The rub is unusual because it has no sugar,but smells FANTASTIC!! Raichlens recipe had a vinegar based mop,but I took what was left of the rub,mixed it with a beer,and it also smells terrific! I'll let you know how it turns out. PS- almost had a disaster. Went to wally world and the wind blew the cover off my ez up shelter I put up because of the rain while I was gone! Temps down to 150,but quick action brought them back up. Here's hoping!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Durn butt would never get past 140*,so I yanked it and put it in a 350* oven for an hour. Got it to 170*,let it rest for 20 minutes,sliced it real thin,and had the best samwiches!
icon_smile.gif
Even in the oven,got a pretty nice bark,and a bite! Gonna cut back on the cayenne next time. But all in all,I'd give it 2 thumbs up(or maybe 2 smoke rings
icon_razz.gif
)!

Phil, that recipe looks really good...I may have to try it. I was given a bottle of Pratts Carolina gold that was a fav of a friend and feel obliged to use it like a mustard slather I have the butts resting in the fridge with a slightly modified version of Ray Lampes Big Time BBQ rub. I'll put the butts on in a couple of hours.

I tried making my own rub and pretty much threw in the towel. I've since resolved to use store bought stuff. Here lately I've been using Famous Dave's.

Inject with pineapple & salt
Coat w/ yellow mustard
Rub w/ Famous Dave's seasoning
Rub w/ brown sugar

I find this to make the meat a bit on the sweet side, so you could add a little pepper to kick it up a bit.

Don't give up on making your own rub or personalizing the receipes you find out here. Thats the fun of imporvising...thats part of why I started this thread to get some more fun ideas...with some decent spices (like mail order from the spice house) and a little patience you cna have lots of fun with them.

Hey Phil, I just closely read the receipe off of primal grill and the flaw in it is thinking that cooking a 7lb butt at 250 for 4-6 hrs is going to get you to 195 internal which you found out the hard way.

This is on m hit list to try....very soon.

Back