Better Ribs

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've been less satisfied with the baby back ribs I've been getting from Sam's Club lately. Is there a better source for ribs? Or, do you just have to trim the ribs to get what you want. I've been getting more and more fat and extra meat on one end and basically what looks like very poorly butchered ribs. The taste isn't noticeably different, but I want to believe I could do better. I've been thinking about getting some ribs from Niman Ranch, but for that kind of money, if trimming/butchering is all that is really different, I can do that.

sounds like you've got two issues going on: 1) the cut/butchering and 2) the quality of the meat.

for #1, a local butcher can help out with that. He/she can ensure you are getting meatier cuts, etc. butchers are getting harder to find, but they are worth it. It won't be as cheap as Sam's, though, I can almost guaranteed.

for #2, the quality of the meat, that's where you get to the niman ranch discussion. Niman Ranch isn't expensive because of the butchering, which you can do on your own. It's good because of the quality of the meat, from how it was raised, fed, processed, etc. You also pay a "Niman Ranch premium" for the organic-ness of it and the brand. But, from my experience, their pork is far superior to anything I've ever gotten at a supermarket or Sams/Costco. (never had ribs from there though... just pork chops).

That said, on #2 a butcher could also help you on that front too. Usually they have multiple sources for meats - of varying quality. I'm sure you can speak with him/her and get some ordered that meets your quality standards. And it will likely be cheaper than niman ranch.

I just cooked some BB's this weekend and the strangest thing happend when I was preparing them. The membrane would not come off. Everytime I tried to pry it up a bit to grab and pull, it would rip. I tried over and over and could not get a handle on it.

Since I couldn't pull the membrane off, I just cut through each section to allow smoke and rub to penetrate.

Question, has this happend to others? If so, could this be a sign that the ribs were from young, tender pigs?

I tend to agree, some ribs I've gotten at BJ's and the local grocery store seem to be pretty much untrimmed. I've used a local butcher at the farmers market but be forewarned, at least around here in SE PA, they use the same meat from Smithfield or Hatfield. I once made the mistake of going to our farmers market for some pork but, they we're charging $4.99 a pound. I saw it in the case and its the same stuff at BJ's or other places for $1.19 a pound. The farmers market has a good racket!

I've had to venture out into our farming community areas in Lancaster PA to find a good butcher with good local meat. I've found that there are several other farmers markets in the area that deal exclusively with Amish farmers in the Lancaster PA area that offer far better pork then the big producers. The cost is only slightly higher than BJ's and the meat is well trimmed and worth it!.

Back