Better probes?

this came with the et-73 I bought from Amazon as a bonus offer (that made buying the thermometer with 3 probes cheaper than buying the probes alone) ... I've only used it 3x so far, but it seems to be spot on with the original maverick probe when I had them both plugged in at the same time for the first cook I used it with. Bonus is that they rate it to 712 deg too. It fits the maverick spring clip and is dimensionally identical to the maverick original to the naked eye. Big poppa claims it's more moisture resistant, but I'll have to see how it stands up over time.

I bought the termoworks probes for my new heater meter, is there a guide on how to put in the correct coefficients?

Thanks

Just go to the Configuration page and paste this into one of the "Probe Coefficient" boxes (A, B, or C) of the probe you want to change (deleting what is there first)
Code:
6.6853001e-04,2.2231022e-04,9.9680632e-08
Click save and you're done

Bryan, is that different/better than the presets in the web ui?

Just go to the Configuration page and paste this into one of the "Probe Coefficient" boxes (A, B, or C) of the probe you want to change (deleting what is there first)
Code:

Yes/Yes. The values in the web ui are from a boiling/freezing correlation with a Maverick probe. These values are from like a 2,000 point correlation from 500F down to around 70F. So I'll say they're as good as a Maverick at least, which isn't saying much.

Code:

Why are these numbers different than those under the TX-1001X-OP preset option?

I did a 3 point cal thinking it would be OK, but later wrote the lmfit module, integrated it into LinkMeter, and got a more complete calibration. There hasn't been a new release since then.

Code:

I'm using these coefficients on my new TX-1001X-OP probes and I'm getting some varied results.

I'm plotting my ET-72 pit probe + 2 x TX-1001X-OP probes here: http://shmick.no-ip.org:8000

Currently I have:

ET72 : 344.6
TX-1001X-OP #1: 363.8
TX-1001X-OP #2: 382.6

That's unusual, do you have them like wicked close together? Did you try swapping which jack they were connected to and seeing if the error followed?

I tied an ET-732 and the TX-1001X-OP together then folded a pieced of aluminum foil over the two tips. The Thermoworks is the orange, the ET-732 is lime green:

Note the lime green is barely visible at all, because the numbers were virtually identical, especially once the temperature levels off. The teal/cyan is an ET-72 in the dome, while the other two were at grill level so it doesn't match.

I've got all 3 stuck through a potato right now. There's about 1/2" between each probe. The ET72 is in the middle.

I'll try swapping the 2 TX-1001X-OP probes right now.

Steve, I bought 4 of those probes and had been having crazy readings. So, I did basically exactly what Bryan did. I wrapped all 4 probes together in foil and plugged them in for about a week. Turns out, 3 matched almost exactly and one was off by 1 degree which I was able to offset successfully. So, I think that I learned that temp is very dynamic. Two probes placed in close proximity to each other can quite different and both be right.

Last edited:
I'm going to do that with my 2 maverick and 2 thermoworks probes tonight and see what the results are. The thermoworks did start tracking closer to each other after a while using the potato method, but they were still reading about 10 degrees hotter than the maverick pit probe.

I noticed the Thermoworks probes don't stay in the jacks as positively as the Maverick probes. Anyone else seeing this?

I noticed the Thermoworks probes don't stay in the jacks as positively as the Maverick probes. Anyone else seeing this?
Yep - in fact with the 3d-printed case I got from Tom, the jacks are slightly recessed and the thermoworks probes didn't stay in at all until I trimmed down the plastic around the base of the probe plug (tapering it to clear the case), but even after doing that I find that I have to be very careful not to dislodge the plugs from the jacks when I'm turning the meat or refueling.

So, looks like my ET72 Pit is reading low, my ET-73 High Heat probe is reading high and my 2 TX-1001X-OP probes are reading pretty steady with each other.

The probes are all together, wrapped tight in aluminum foil.

E2KA3Qjl.png

So, looks like my ET72 Pit is reading low, my ET-73 High Heat probe is reading high and my 2 TX-1001X-OP probes are reading pretty steady with each other.

The probes are all together, wrapped tight in aluminum foil.

E2KA3Qjl.png

When I foiled my probes, I left them sitting outside for several days. It was always close to the official weather. However, when the temp got into the 20's, the HM had issues. The probes would drop off and back on. I guess some resistance values would be out of range of the HM.

At the same time that I bought my probes, I bought a Chef Alarm. The Chef Alarm was designed to be used with the TX-1001X-OP probes. I compared the temperature readings of the TX-1001X-OP probes between the Chef Alarm and the HM. On every comparison, the readings were either exactly, or nearly exactly the same. So, I'm confident that the values I'm getting for my TX probes are correct. I would verify that the coefficients that you have are correct. Then, maybe try an ice and/or boil water test with the same configuration. See what that gives you.

I think there were a couple of things that threw me. One thing was that it surprises me how different the results are between two areas within my WSM. Another thing throwing me is that I think the TX probes are more sensitive. When you look at your graph (and I see the same thing on mine), the TX lines are much less smooth than the Maverick probes. I think that can be interpreted as the probes being inaccurately reporting resistance. But, I'm inclined to believe that the resistance is actually changing more. In fact, the temperature might actually be fluctuating like that. I don't know. But, that doesn't bother me.

With each cook, my confidence in the TX probes is building. Keep us posted. I would like to see more test graphs.

That ripple effect is actually an issue with the HM graph. If I select another time frame and go back to auto, the lines smooth out on the graph.

I'm convinced that the TX-1001X-OP probes are giving me the better reading of the 3 types being graphed, and I plan to stick with using just those probes from now on. I just need to modify the grill clip to properly hold the ThermoWorx probe.

That ripple effect is actually an issue with the HM graph. If I select another time frame and go back to auto, the lines smooth out on the graph.

I'm convinced that the TX-1001X-OP probes are giving me the better reading of the 3 types being graphed, and I plan to stick with using just those probes from now on. I just need to modify the grill clip to properly hold the ThermoWorx probe.

Sure, the stair step appearance will smooth out over time. But, it's more jagged than the Maverick lines over the same time frame. And, after thinking about it some more, that might actually indicate less sensitivity. I find it to be very interesting, but it doesn't have any practical implications, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes the thermoworks do have less sensitivity at that range than the Mavericks. Check the graphs here HeaterMeter Probes and not the sensitivity is greatest where the graph lines are most vertical. The Maverick is less sensitive across a broader range, the thermoworks is much more sensitive around 85C but starts to lose it earlier.

The reason why when you switch resolutions and switch back the graph looks more smooth is because when you're looking at it live, it is adding a new point every 1-5 seconds. The database that backs the graph averages blocks of time together so it doesn't have to store a million points. For example, the 60 minute graph stores like 360 points of 10 second averages. If you wait long enough, the graph will get "too many points" and smooth out as it reloads the averages from the database then starts adding new high-frequency ticks to it.

Back