Better Bark

Allan

TVWBB Fan
Here's a pic of last night's snack. Had a buddy over helping me move some furniture, figured I owed him something.

The ribs were nice and tasty, maybe a little on the salty side, but we've narrowed that down to the rub I used. Also used Steve Petrone's No.5 and added some molasses for additional sweetness. (Thanks Steve!)

I'd like to get a firmer bark though. Any suggestions how to do this?

248278989_e5ab158c86.jpg

Actually it was cooked with an empty waterpan. Temps were between 220 and 250ish, however after I put my sauce on, the temp was at the lower scale, probably 210-220.

Raise the temp then. You need to establish bark texture before sauce is applied.

I do not care for sauced ribs because, to me, many get too thick and gloppy/gooey on the meat and either actually affect bark/meat texture or at the very least give that impression in the mouth. But one thing you can do if you want the flavors of the sauce but do not want to affect bark/meat texture is to turn a little of your sauce into a glaze. Establish your bark texture before or near the end of cooking and apply the glaze very thinly--like a veneer--to the ribs just moments before pulling them. Applied thinly, the glaze will be transparent both visually and texturally, offering shine and a transparent color which boosts the overall visual appeal significantly, and allowing your tongue to feel the texture of the bark and meat. It also adds a little flavor. Though you'll want to serve sauce on the side, you're ribs won't need sauce as all the elements will be present at serving.

Try it sometime.

Allan,

I do use sand in the pan on my WSM and it leaves a nice crispy bark for me. I add a little sauce the last 30 minutes or so and let that glaze up and do not add anymore sauce after pulling off. Tie my bibb on and go to eating. This is my favorite way of eating ribs, others have differnet opinions I'm sure.

Randy

Back