Best wood for ribs.

Steve,

I'd stop using the mesquite, and only use apple. Or drop both and switch to hickory, which I've never had problems with. Sounds to me like the bitter taste is form too much smoke or too much charcoal. If charcoal is put in too soon (it isn't totally ashed over), you will get a very thick white smoke that will give your food a bitter taste, b/c you're basically tasting the binding agents of the charcoal.
Make sure all of your charcoal is greyed over and no smoke is coming off before you put the wood on.

Also, what kind of a rub are you using? The fact that you're getting a tar-black, greasy bark intrigues me.

I would definitly put the water pan back in. Put in 3 or 4 layers of crumpled and then un-crumpled heavy duty foil then cover with a layer to catch the drippings.

And get rid of the mesquite. Way to strong for ribs. IMHO. You could also try the Minion Method.

Al

I don't like Mesquite on my ribs either. However, my question is if I accidentally got Mesquite lump charcoal will it have enough of a bearing on the meat even if I use other actual hardwoods?

The bark is very dark black, even tar like. And it has the off taste described above. I'm thinking of trying mesquite lump charcoal, but it is harder to light and burns inconsistantly.

Jim--

What you are describing is creosote/soot. This happens due to poor combustion. This can occur from poor airflow (the restricted top vent), and from green smokewood, among other things. The vent restriction shouldn't be a problem using the Guru (but when are you starting it?) so there might be something else at play.

Mesquite is a resinous wood. Irrespective of combustion issues, too much mesquite can also give you the results you describe, especially with a low and slow cook. Personally, I find it too much for pork or fowl, even for brisket, but I like it for high-heat steak cooks.

Also, are you using sugar in you rubs? If so, what kind? (I'd use a pan with sugared rubs.)

I agree with Al. I'd use the Minion for start-up. Much easier to control temps on the way up, meat goes in at the outset so it's quicker and smoother, and the fuel usage is less. Even though smokewood is spread out amongst unlit fuel, with positive airflow (with or without a Guru) there should not be a creosote-causing combustion issue.

I do the Minion method with Kingsford and a handfull of pecan wood I get from Academy. Works great.

I would save the Mesquite lump for burgers and steaks.

Sonny

I use a mixture of Apple and Pecan. Love the smell of that smoke! I would only use mesquite on beef or if you are grilling. It tends to overpower pork and chicken when smoking.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Did three racks of spares yesterday practicing for our first competition of the year. Used equal parts oak, pecan, and apple. Very light, smooth, pleasing waft of smoke throughout the cook. After wrapping (first coating with honey, brown sugar, and a hint of rub, and then adding apple juice) and cooking for another 1.5 hours, finished and carmelized over semi-direct heat with cherry wood. The last bit of smoke added an incredible layer of smoke with the sweet/hot glaze. I just made myself hungry. Gotta go.

We have always used hickory because it is so prevelant where we are. However, I recently have been playing with apple as well. So far, can't really tell much of a difference in ribs.

I haven't tried it on butts yet.

Back