Best wood for kettle pizza??

Scott Zee

TVWBB Fan
So I've just bought a KettlePizza KPB-22 deluxe new in box with stone and aluminum pro-grade peel from an Ebay seller, $135 delivered. I'm wondering what is the best wood to use when making pies?? Also, does it work better on the 18.5 or the 22.5??? I can't wait to be making homemade pizza along with different flatbreads. Thanks everyone for your thoughts

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Congrats Scott. You're going to love it. I use dry oak chunks on my 22" OTS Kettle with great results. Can get 700 degrees easy. Haven't tried it you on my 18. Good luck!

I have a 22.5 pizza kettle. It's works great with the peach and cherry wood I use.

So I've just bought a KettlePizza KPB-22 deluxe new in box with stone and aluminum pro-grade peel from an Ebay seller, $135 delivered. I'm wondering what is the best wood to use when making pies?? Also, does it work better on the 18.5 or the 22.5???

Scott, I use my Kettle Pizza quite a bit and with some simple mods I get temps into the high 700's in the dome. The learning process is half the fun, but in my opinion these two things are critical:

1. Heat your stone up in your house oven while the KPP comes up to temp. I heat mine to 450 or 500 for at least a half hour before putting it in the grill. The stones don't heat properly in a Kettle alone.

2. You will have way better results if you lower the dome height by adding a second grill to the top of the KPP insert and covering it with either baking steel or a second pizza stone. Even tin foil would be better than nothing. I am cheap so I covered it with some unglazed quarry tiles.

As for your specific questions, the size of the pieces of the wood is more important, in my opinion, than the variety. Big splits work the best. Large chunks work next best. Chips don't work at all. Set your wood on a pile of HOT coals in the back of your kettle opposite the opening of the KPP. The KPP is a fuel hog so if you're cooking more than a couple pies make sure you have plenty of wood on hand. The harder the wood the better. Oak is best, then the other fruit woods, then hickory and mesquite.

Can't stress enough the importance of big chunks or splits. You'll get better heat with longer burns than with with small chunks or chips.

Have fun! Love my Kettle Pizza.

Scott, I use my Kettle Pizza quite a bit and with some simple mods I get temps into the high 700's in the dome. The learning process is half the fun, but in my opinion these two things are critical:

1. Heat your stone up in your house oven while the KPP comes up to temp. I heat mine to 450 or 500 for at least a half hour before putting it in the grill. The stones don't heat properly in a Kettle alone.

2. You will have way better results if you lower the dome height by adding a second grill to the top of the KPP insert and covering it with either baking steel or a second pizza stone. Even tin foil would be better than nothing. I am cheap so I covered it with some unglazed quarry tiles.

As for your specific questions, the size of the pieces of the wood is more important, in my opinion, than the variety. Big splits work the best. Large chunks work next best. Chips don't work at all. Set your wood on a pile of HOT coals in the back of your kettle opposite the opening of the KPP. The KPP is a fuel hog so if you're cooking more than a couple pies make sure you have plenty of wood on hand. The harder the wood the better. Oak is best, then the other fruit woods, then hickory and mesquite.

Can't stress enough the importance of big chunks or splits. You'll get better heat with longer burns than with with small chunks or chips.

Have fun! Love my Kettle Pizza.

Those are 2 great tips, took me many cooks and research to figure that out. I have the baking steel custom cut for the KP, not cheap but it sure does the job...between that and heating my stone (as you said, for a good 30 minutes in the house oven), my cooking times are down to about 4.5 minutes.

One thing I don't like about the baking steel, it's heavy and very hot. Before the steel, when I needed to add fuel, I just carefully removed the entire KP insert and grill lid, in one step, added fuel, then put it back on. Can't do that with the steel. Haven't tried adding fuel with the steel yet (only making 1 or 2 pies). I think I can just add wood to the top of the stone, then push it off the back of the stone onto the charcoal fire.

I use good-sized splits. Way better than chunks.

Back