Best way to Serve/Hold Pulled Pork at a party/etc. for 4-6 hours in length

Michael Spurling

TVWBB Member
Hi all -

Im doing 2 butts for this friday for a party/picnic on Saturday.

Whats the best way to serve and hold pulled pork for about 4-6 hours? I dont want to microwave it; I have a chafing dish I am thinking of using - but I am worried the meat may dry out during the time period.

My chafing dish has a water resevoir - like a double boiler where my sterno cans heat the water and in turn could keep the meat warm.

What are my best options? Any other suggestions or opinions ? What do other people use to hold/serve pulled pork for functions/party's - etc. for an extended period of time ?

Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Spurling:
Hi all -

Im doing 2 butts for this friday for a party/picnic on Saturday.

Whats the best way to serve and hold pulled pork for about 4-6 hours? I dont want to microwave it; I have a chafing dish I am thinking of using - but I am worried the meat may dry out during the time period.

My chafing dish has a water resevoir - like a double boiler where my sterno cans heat the water and in turn could keep the meat warm.

What are my best options? Any other suggestions or opinions ? What do other people use to hold/serve pulled pork for functions/party's - etc. for an extended period of time ?

Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can vacuum seal the meat and you have access where you'll be serving to boil a pot of water, I would vacuum seal the pork in 2lb bags and heat the meat by placing in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Then put the meat in your chaffing dishes with a couple splashes of your sauce (if you're saucing), chicken stock or apple juice and foil until service.

If you don't have access to boil a pot of water, to reheat the vacuum bags, then you can put the pork in crock pots with your sauce (if you're saucing), chicken stock or apple juice. Warm through and place in chaffing dishes when ready to serve.

Hi Michael... I host luaus/bbqs and also help other people with theirs and I find it not a problem to keep "kalua pork" at temperature in a chafing dish for several hours. I have chafing dishes, 1 sterno and 2 sterno versions and whatever doesn't fit in the chafing dish, since I prepare a minimum of 30 lbs of pork or a whole 125 lb hog(or larger) I either place it in a low temp oven or an electric roaster oven. Kalua pork is the Hawaiian version of pulled pork done traditionally in an imu or underground pit.

joe

Actually, if you take the butts off the heat four hours before the event, you can keep them in a cooler wrapped in towels or surrounded by newspaper for insulation. They'll stay good for at least three hours, and then be at right temp to pull. At that point a chafing dish or even a roasting pan in the over will do fine.

Back