Best way to refuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I was wondering what the best way to refuel might be?

I was doing the MM last night and ran out of fuel around somewhere between 4 and 5 AM. Not suprising since that would have been about 15 hours into the (windy) cook.

Two questions:

1. What's the best way to keep your fire running if you know you're going to run out?

2. If you do go out what's the best way to get it restarted?

Thanks all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. What's the best way to keep your fire running if you know you're going to run out? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The answer to #1 is to add unlit coals during the cook before it gets to low and your temps drop too low. This is the ideal way to maintain fuel and temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. If you do run out what's the best way to get it restarted? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you do run out of fuel add enough lit coals along with unlit coals to get your temp back up as quickly as possible but not too hot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>. What's the best way to keep your fire running if you know you're going to run out? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer to #1 is to add unlit coals during the cook before it gets to low.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that added an unpleasant taste?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. If you do go out what's the best way to get it restarted? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you do run out add enough lit coals to get your temp back up as quickly as possible but not too hot! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easier said than done!

When I add hot coals, I dump the coals from my chimney into an old ECB water pan, then long handled tongs are used for placement. It works well, but im up for suggestions.
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I thought that added an unpleasant taste? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob,
Adding unlit coals manually is no different than using the MM. It will not add an unpleasant taste at all. If you have used the MM in the past you already know if it will alter the taste or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When I add hot coals, I dump the coals from my chimney into an old ECB water pan, then long handled tongs are used for placement <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dale,
I recently did the same thing, just used a big metal spoon to place the coals in. I try not to get to the point where I need to add lit coals, just add unlit as needed during the cook!

Rob, an easy way to add unlit or lit fuel is the now famed "HOT SQUAT"!!

This is when you take the center section off with the lid on and expose the charcoal bowl. Put the middle section on the ground and then add your fuel. Replace middle section and you're up and running!!

Remember to keep the lid on when doing the "HOT SQUAT"!! It has worked for me and I know others do it too!!
icon_wink.gif

Two notes about the Hot Squat method...I didn't notice in your other thread if you're using water or sand..If using water, this method is not recommended. Also, You have alot of weight there with the meat and water/sand. Use extreme caution. Good luck

"HOT SQUAT"!! Everytime I see this it makes me cringe!! I can't really even try to attempt it anyways because I am in a wheelchair! I don't sit up high enough!!
icon_mad.gif
But for my luck, if I were to attempt it, I would drop the meat or even worse the sand pan and it would land in my lap!!!
icon_eek.gif
I need to make a contraption that lifts it up for me just high enough to add fuel!

Well, I had the same issue this morning. The fire ran out of fuel after about 12 windy cool hours. I did add some lump, which kept me going for a while, then I just resolved to start fresh, i.e. refill the bowl with lump and put lit coals on top. I did the hot squat, and sure enough, splashed enough water to extinguish the coals I just put on. I lit some more and put them in using a pointed garden spade, then spread them out with a hand trowel. Worked great and I am now the proud owner of a tender enormous brisket. 18 hour total.

I have added hot coals using a chute. Stick it the door with about a 40 degree slope or so and then dump coals out of the chimney into the chute / trough and let them slide down into the fire grate. I use pliers to hold the chute. I made one from aluminum flashing but it only lasted about 2 chimneys. I currently have the ballast cover out of a troffer ( 4' fluorescent fixture for ceiling grid installation) that works well.

I developed a version of the "hot squat" when I was still cooking on a Brinkmann Gourmet. I'd pick up the middle section and set it to the side (the Gourmet comes with nice handles attached already). Then I'd pick up the charcoal grate, burning coals and all, with a couple of garden trowels (its hard to explain, but works very easily) and set it in my Weber kettle. Next I'd pick up the bottom section and dump all the accumulated ash. Then, replace the charcoal grate (with a now very hot fire, since it had been sitting in the open air for a couple of minutes), add enough unlit briquettes to finish the cook, and replace the middle section. The temperature didn't drop very much once I got good at this, and it came up very quickly.

I have done the same with the WSM, and it works about the same way.

Rob

I added handles to the side of the middle section. If I need to refuel I check the water level and if it's low I lift the middle section off with the lid on. I also have a long handled shovel that fits in the door and I stoke the fire with lump charcoal if it needs it. If I'm just using the top rack, I put my water pan on the lower rack. This makes it easier to refuel through the door. Long tongs are always a good option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Two notes about the Hot Squat method...I didn't notice in your other thread if you're using water or sand..If using water, this method is not recommended. Also, You have alot of weight there with the meat and water/sand. Use extreme caution. Good luck <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, IMO this is what makes it so fun. Hot coals, hot water, and getting away with it. Where's your sense of adventure Bud. Hence the name HOT SQUAT. Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bill, IMO this is what makes it so fun. Hot coals, hot water, and getting away with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan,
You "Adrenaline Junkie" you!

Hot Squat? Awwwww, what happened to our Kung Fu/Grasshopper method (you know, where you squeeze the sides with your bare arms and lift it, thus getting cool "tattoos" on either arm).

Until we can perfect that method, I light a chimney of coals (or however many are needed), donning my big ol' welding gloves, and I tilt the fuel door and using it as a chute, I pour the (very sparky during the night and very pretty!) hot coals into it and whoosh, in they go into the charcoal ring easy as pie!

In the olden days (ok, I've only been at this 9 mos) I used to use a garden spade to shovel 'em in, but that was too much like work when the wind was howling at me in the middle of the cold night, and since this grrrl is nothing if not lazy, er, EFFICIENT, I found that faster method!).

Susan,

An excellent example of keeping it simple. I'm with you - NO hot squat. Not gonna do it.
It somehow seems evil.

Glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
... I try not to get to the point where I need to add lit coals, just add unlit as needed during the cook! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I've done as Larry suggested a few times, eventually with sucess.

First time just dumped a whole bunch on .. it either smothered the fire a bit or kept the heat in ... in either case the net effect was a temp drop down to like 180F and it took a couple of hours to recover. What worked better was to throw in 20-30 unlit a couple of times at two hour intervals.

If you think you might be in for a long cook then you can add some unlit at 6,8,10 or 12 hours in for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back